balfour-knight

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 961 through 975 (of 1,492 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Experience with David harps? #226416
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    The waiting must be terrible for Davy! When we found our beautiful grand piano many years ago, it took two weeks before they could deliver it to us, and I was a “basket case,” ha, ha! So, we completely understand having to wait. Best of luck to you all and we know that the harp and Davy will make BEAUTIFUL music soon!
    Harp Hugs,
    B and CL

    in reply to: Experience with David harps? #226304
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    Congratulations Davy! We are so pleased that you have a gorgeous pedal harp and can realize your full potential. We are so happy for you!

    Harp hugs,
    Balfour and Carol Lynn

    in reply to: Optimal Humidity Target for Dehumidifier? #226074
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    I agree, between 40 and 60 percent humidity is very good, and please get an accurate digital hygrometer, since the others vary widely, you know!
    Harp Hugs,
    Balfour

    in reply to: New recording I did. #220037
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    Basel, thanks SO MUCH for this outstanding video! We do hope you are playing out in public so that folks will hear and see what you can do so well. You may just start a trend in your new country and make them fall in love with the harp!
    With best wishes and harp hugs,
    Balfour (and Carol Lynn)

    in reply to: Angelus – Renie #219890
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    Thanks, Jerusha, I also have enjoyed Carl’s posts for many years here! Thanks, Carl! We owe you a lot!

    in reply to: Teaching Myself (?!) #219629
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    Jennifer, having tried the classical guitar at a very early age, I too failed miserably, ha, ha! I always say that the first day I had my hands on a harp, I played it better than I ever played the guitar, which I had struggled with for at least a whole year! Now I have the greatest admiration for anyone who can really play the guitar, especially the classical guitarists.

    By the way, Snoopy Lee, how have things worked out for you? All of us would love to hear how you are doing!

    in reply to: Angelus – Renie #219628
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    I was just re-reading this entire thread to make sure, but I do not see any “offensive” elements so far. I agree with Gretchen and Carl! Everyone seems to have shone the proper respect for the Angelus, both the beautiful piece by Renie and the prayer which inspired her to write such a gem for harp.

    in reply to: Whether you select to employ…. #219571
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    Are we going to pinstripe our harps now? Ha, ha!

    in reply to: How often do strings break? #219570
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    I agree with Charles–we need more information, please!

    in reply to: Rivets seizing on pedals #219569
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    Alison, I would ask the harpmaker what to use on the pedals. Liza Jenson, harp tech, advised me not to use anything on a Camac pedal harp, because the screws in the pedal joints can be turned to adjust the tightness. I believe that Tom Bell used something like sewing machine oil on Lyon & Healys, but I would ask to make sure! What brand is your best pedal harp? Carl Swanson would also be a great person to ask.

    in reply to: Warming up your body BEFORE PLAYING #219568
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    Alison, if you take that Indian club out to a concert, I want to know what happens, ha, ha!

    in reply to: Warming up your body BEFORE PLAYING #219391
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    Yolanda Kondanassis has some great harp warmups in her books on playing the harp! Most method books also have them. I usually sit down to the harp and play some arpeggios, some rolled chords along with inverting them, some more chords rolled from the top down, a few trills, and some harmonics with both hands before I begin to play some simple piece I play by ear just for enjoyment. Then I get down to “brass tacks” with something like Hasselmans’ La Source or his Follets, or any other tough pieces I need to practice. In general, I think it is a good idea to start out simple, then build. Also, I often begin on my Dusty FH36S, for thirty to forty minutes, then move to the concert pedal harp which has more tension on the strings, for another hour or more of practice. I rarely practice for more than two hours before taking a break.

    Warming up before a concert is usually possible, but playing at selected spots during a church service is tricky to have space or the opportunity for a warmup! That is when I do “pretend warmups” away from the harp, like some of you have suggested, with finger stretches, arm and shoulder stretches, etc., if I am not out there sitting in front of everyone while I do it, ha, ha!

    Thanks, dear friends, for all these posts. Keep them coming!

    Harp Hugs,
    Balfour

    in reply to: Angelus – Renie #219116
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    Thanks for posting this, Gretchen! The Angelus by Renie has long been a favorite piece of mine, along with the other two pieces in her collection called Feuilletts D’Album, or Album Leaves. The Angelus was rung three times per day, at 6 a.m., noon and 6 p.m. (To see a wonderful painting depicting two peasants bowing in prayer at the ringing of the Angelus, see the beautiful painting by Jean Francois Millet called the Angelus.)

    The first piece in Renie’s Album is called Esquisse, or Sketch, and is very beautiful. The second one is Danse D’Autrefois, or Dance of Another Time, again, very nice, but it requires some careful damping on the harp (I enjoy it the most on the piano, with dampers, ha, ha!). The third piece, of course, is the Angelus. These three make a real dandy addition to any varied program of harp music, and they have been well-received when I have presented them.

    Hope all of you look these up and enjoy them! I use the Grandjany edition, published by Lyra Music Company, by the way. Thanks again, Gretchen, for bringing this up!

    Happy Harping,
    Balfour

    in reply to: Camac lever binding/becoming stiff #219081
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    Sarah,
    Perhaps you should contact Camac directly. Or, try a Camac tech like Tom Bell or Liza Jenson. Thanks everyone for your posts!
    Best,
    Balfour

    in reply to: L&H Style 23 or Style 11 or Salvi Iris #219080
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    Ha, ha, Gretchen! I do like lots of padding on the bench in my old age! Did you all read about Venus stopping their pedal harp production in favor of repairing existing harps? Of course, they say that one can still order a custom-made harp from them. I have a good friend who still prefers her Venus over all other brands of harps, and indeed, it is a great harp!

    Cheers to all of you,
    Balfour

Viewing 15 posts - 961 through 975 (of 1,492 total)