Forum Replies Created
-
AuthorPosts
-
October 17, 2020 at 10:55 am in reply to: Rouet – Hasselmans – First performance at new school #253023
balfour-knight
ParticipantHello André,
Thanks for your response. My sweet (very intelligent!) wife figured out how to get the accent symbols on this little tablet. It will even do Égérie, as you can see! Elsewhere on this Forum, Carl Swanson is writing about learning to do a “computerized music notation” program, so this has inspired us to learn a little more about these new “gadgets.” 🙂
Sorry for your family’s experience with the Covid-19. So far, we are staying safe. Unfortunately, all my harp-playing engagements have been postponed at least until next year. But I have had plenty of time to practice new repertoire and really enjoy my two harps, piano and organ, so it has been a productive time. We are semi-retired anyway, so it is a great life here in the beautiful mountains of western North Carolina. The leaves are turning bright Fall colors, and there are many tourists in our area right now, good for our local economy!
Harp Hugs and all best wishes,
Balfour (and Carol Lynn)balfour-knight
ParticipantHello Gerrard,
I’m wondering if your Honda Jazz is the same as a Honda Fit. We used to own a Fit and once column-loaded an 85 Petite in it. The rear seats folded down flat, which was very nice. We put pillows under the harp, especially on top of the parking brake, loaded the harp into the car between the front seats on its column, then used ropes to secure the harp to the inside handles of the car to keep it from turning over. The harp was in a nice heavy transpot cover, of course. It took my wife and I both to do this, so be sure to get an assistant to help you!
Hope this gives you some ideas.
Best of luck,
Balfourbalfour-knight
ParticipantCarl, that is so exciting about the string parts added by Tournier to his Sonatine. I can’t wait to hear it done by a harpist, violinist, and cellist and put on YouTube so all of us can hear it. I know it was already incredible for you to hear it done on your new-found computer program, but I bet the “real thing” would be much superior, especially with all the musical expression that each individual musician could give to the interpretation of this gorgeous music.
Thanks so much for giving the world the benefit of all your knowledge and expertise, and making this rare find something of a legacy for today’s musicians and all the future ones. We already owe you so much!
Best regards,
BalfourOctober 16, 2020 at 7:37 pm in reply to: Rouet – Hasselmans – First performance at new school #253018balfour-knight
ParticipantHello Andre and Davy!
So glad to see this new post of Davy! Wow, he is really growing up and developing a fine technique. It is also good to see and hear a new Camac Egerie (sorry this keyboard does not have the accents over the two E’s!). I love my Camac Atlantide Prestige and am excited when a harp company develops a new model. How does Davy like his new school? We have thought about him fondly and hope the Covid did not cause too many problems for you all.
Thanks so much for updating all of us.
Wishing you all the best,
Balfour (and Carol Lynn)balfour-knight
ParticipantHi again, Philippa,
Once again, my wife and I were awed by your beautiful playing! Your performance of the gorgeous Gliere Harp Concerto in E flat was magnificent. We are so glad you finally got to play it live with that outstanding orchestra, since the Covid messed up your original schedule. Your concert dress was also very nice, even if it was not really in the evening, ha, ha! The pipe organ in the background looks magnificent–have you ever heard it played in concert? Besides playing harp and piano, I am also an organist, so I admired that organ, you know!
This video showcases the Camac Atlantide harp, for anyone wanting to know how it sounds and really stands out with a full orchestra. The tone and projection are just unequalled, in my humble opinion. Plus, you can regulate it yourself. Jujubee, have you made any plans yet to attain your pedal harp? I hope these postings have given you some good ideas.
Best to everyone,
Balfour (and Carol Lynn)balfour-knight
ParticipantThat sounds wonderful, Gerrard. I have played several of these petite 85 harps in the past and they are great little harps. I hope it all works out well for you!
Cheers,
Balfourbalfour-knight
ParticipantCarl, that is wonderful news! I’m so glad Bill is helping you, that is so kind of him.
Best wishes,
Balfourbalfour-knight
ParticipantHi again, Gerrard,
There is another “thread” running right now on this Forum called “the art of harp price negotiation” that you may find helpful. Biagio and Gretchen are friends of mine, and they have posted some great ideas.
I will say that if that L&H 85 XP is in as great condition as the seller says it is, then I think it would be a good buy. Is there any way that you can check with the harp tech who regulated it last time? Most of us seasoned pros would not want to buy a harp until we saw and “test drove” it PERSONALLY, but some of us have taken the word of someone we trusted to play the harp and give us their unbiased evaluation of it. Zoom or Skipe comes to mind these days, for you to see and hear the harp before you buy it.
Hope this helps.
Harp Hugs and cheers,
Balfourbalfour-knight
ParticipantHello Annie,
It appears that your recent post has disappeared. Just wanted to let you know.
Best wishes,
Balfourbalfour-knight
ParticipantHello Gerrard,
Well, you are in luck! I just found a price list from the Sylvia Woods Harp Center from July 1, 2005. The L&H 85 Petite listed for $10,000, and the 85 XP (Extended Petite) was $12,000.
I did find another price list from the Virginia Harp Center in 2006, but the 85 XP said “discontinued.” Therefore, the harp you are looking at may have been made in 2005, or 2006 just before L&H discontinued them.
I hope this helps. That was good advice from Catherine, too, in order to be sure about the harp’s selling price at the time it was made.
Best wishes,
Balfourbalfour-knight
ParticipantHi Philippa,
Thanks so much for letting us know about this newest video. We are looking forward to watching it soon!
Harp Hugs,
Balfour and Carol Lynnbalfour-knight
ParticipantI agree, I would like to know what Eric decided, too! I have posted it many times before, that I do indeed have my perfect two harps that have gotten me through this sorry time of the Covid: my Dusty FH36S in cherry, and my Camac Atlantide Prestige in maple. When I sit down to one or both of them every day, they do something for my soul that nothing else can do, they are my dream harps. It took several harp purchases and trades over many years, to get to these final two, but I enjoyed every step of the way. So, I hope everyone can discover and attain their dream harp/harps.
Wishing you my best,
Balfour-
This reply was modified 5 years, 11 months ago by
balfour-knight.
-
This reply was modified 5 years, 11 months ago by
balfour-knight.
balfour-knight
ParticipantHi Philippa,
What a treat to watch your video from Sept. 30! My wife and I enjoyed the entire concert, since we cannot go to any “live” ones here in western North Carolina under the current restrictions. Not only were you superb, but the flute and viola were outstanding. One does not get to hear an alto flute very often, or for that matter, a viola soloist, at least around here!
All the solos were music we love, and then the “Poe” inspired “City in the Sea” by Whittall was so effective! This is the right time of the year for that sort of poem and music! Not only are you a wonderful soloist, but you are an equally fine accompanist. It was interesting to see Tommy “turn your pages” on the tablet, too. Your Atlantide sounded so good by itself and with the flute and viola! I studied Scarlatti on the harpsichord in college, but I like his music better on the concert harp. Our Atlantides are perfectly bright for his music!
Thank you so much for letting us know about this wonderful video. Hope you are doing well and making more gorgeous music!
Best to you,
Balfour (and Carol Lynn)balfour-knight
ParticipantI agree, friends! I first heard of “Fake Books” when I was 15 and playing piano in restaurants with Bass and Drums. Our Trio played all the current pop songs and used that lead sheet format so we could all be on the “same page” and would not have to memorize so many tunes. I knew about 300 of the songs from memory, but using the Fake Books, I could play more than 1000. You do have to develop your improvisational skills, and it can be quite challenging, I must say. But it was a great way to pay my way through college without having to wash dishes, ha, ha!
Cheers,
Balfourbalfour-knight
ParticipantBy the way, Danamarie, whatever happened about this? We would love to hear about it. Thanks!
-
This reply was modified 5 years, 11 months ago by
-
AuthorPosts