balfour-knight

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 736 through 750 (of 1,492 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: I want to play the harp! #254675
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    Hi, James!

    Those were nice posts, everyone, and thanks James.

    Just for clarity, 47 strings on the concert pedal harp cover most of the range of the 88 notes on the piano. The harp starts on the lowest C of the piano and goes up to the highest G. The harp’s range would therefore be equal to 80 notes on the piano. Generally, this would be described as six and one half octaves, even though it is actually a little larger at six octaves and a fifth. (The interval from C to G is called a “fifth.”)

    The pedal harp is tuned in C flat to begin with. (The red strings are C’s and the black strings are F’s.)
    Each pedal can raise the string two semi-tones, so that with a C you can play the string as C flat, C natural, and C sharp. Therefore, there are only 7 strings per octave, which gives you 21 different pitches per octave. (Keyboard instruments have 12 pitches per octave.)

    A five-octave lever harp has 36 strings. This is 7 strings per octave multiplied by 5 to get 35, plus the additional C at the top to make the octave complete. The range could also be A to A, or depending on the harp maker, any note to any note.

    A lever, hook, or blade can only raise the pitch of the string one semi-tone. Therefore, a lever on each string is desirable (I would say “essential”) in order to play in as many keys as you can and have as many accidentals as you can. To further explain, a lever harp tuned in the Key of C can be played in C and all seven sharp keys, plus their relative minor keys. To play in flat keys, the harp must be tuned that way. Some harpists tune in E flat, others in F, etc.

    I do hope this helps.

    Have a great day, my friends,
    Balfour

    in reply to: Resell value on LH 23 gold from 1984 approximately #254633
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    Michael,

    All of us pedal harpists are familiar with the L&H 23 harp. It is THE standard orchestral harp! It is equivalent to the Steinway D concert grand piano. (At least in the U.S.A., that is!) However, there is no “Bluebook” of resell values for harps like there is for automobiles. Only an in-person close examination of this harp could provide a “value” which you could work with. Ultimately, it is only worth what someone would pay for it!

    Hope this helps.

    Best wishes,
    Balfour

    in reply to: I want to play the harp! #254632
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    Hello James,

    It was good to read your post. I think that a good place to start is with the harp teacher for the orchestra at your local school. That would seem to be a place to get first-hand information.

    Whereas a standard piano has 88 notes, the standard pedal harp has 47 strings. That would be the only way to have the “complete range” of the instrument for whatever type of music you might play on it. Lever harps vary a great deal, as you may have found out! I would suggest a minimum range of 5 octaves, C to C, beginning on the C which is two octaves below middle C. This, by the way, is the standard range of the pipe organ keyboards, which have 61 notes per manual. (the pedal board of the organ has 32 notes standard, beginning on what would be the lowest C of the piano.)

    Since you are not sure whether you want to buy a harp right now, perhaps you could rent one to try out before you commit to the purchase of one, and take some beginning harp lessons to see how you like it. This would answer a lot of your questions first-hand.

    I live in western North Carolina and I see that you are in North Germany. Thanks for letting us know, so that these folks here on this forum can better answer your questions. I hope this helps a little, but ask all the questions you like–we will try to help.

    Best wishes,
    Balfour

    balfour-knight
    Participant

    Glad I could help. I am sure that you will be in good hands with any of these mentioned harp re-builders. I would especially recommend Carl Swanson!

    in reply to: Harp Table To Raise Harp #254556
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    You are so welcome! I am so glad that I could help. That was so smart of you to go to Amazon with “mobility step” and get awesome results!

    in reply to: Harp Table To Raise Harp #254549
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    Hi Briggsie,

    That was a good response from Harpist 123 above, and I have another idea:

    Have you checked with Miles Kimball? In their current catalog, Feb. 2021, there is one on P. 58 called “outdoor step” No. 338119, that looks good. It measures l9 1/4″ L x 15 1/2″ W x 4″ H and supports up to 440 lbs. The price is just $29.99 and it is made of durable plastic with a grooved surface for slip-resistant safety. You may also find other options available from this company.

    Hope this helps.

    Best wishes,
    Balfour

    balfour-knight
    Participant

    Of course, you may also try Carl Swanson in Boston, MA.

    balfour-knight
    Participant

    You may be thinking about Tom Bell, harp technician. Search for Bell Harp Tech in Akron, OH. Hope this helps.

    Best wishes,
    Balfour

    in reply to: Harp Rental for Brevard Summer Festival #254493
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    Hi Anita,

    My wife and I remember fondly meeting you a few years ago at Furman! We hope things are going well for you during this pandemic.

    To Marina and all,

    We do hope Brevard can do an in-person season this summer. We love to drive there and take in an opera or two and some of the other fine programs available each year. I was a camper/student there in 1970, which just seems like yesterday, ha, ha!

    Best wishes,
    Balfour (and Carol Lynn)

    in reply to: Style 85 Semi-grand #254463
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    Good advice, Charles!

    Amy, all the #85 harps I have ever played (and owned) were very nice ones. The SG was made with 46 strings and now has been replaced with the E model which is about the same size with 47 strings. If it speaks to you, buy it, like Charles said. If in doubt, then consult a harp technician or a harp teacher. They should be able to help you make an informed decision.

    Best of luck,
    Balfour

    in reply to: Harp Rental for Brevard Summer Festival #254462
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    Hi, Marina,

    May I suggest you contact the Atlanta Harp Center? I do not know of anyone in western NC who would rent out a harp. I hope this helps!

    Best wishes,
    Balfour

    in reply to: harpist Phyllis #254209
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    Thanks Sylvia. Happy New Year!

    in reply to: L&H Style 85 E vs. 85 CG #254055
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    Karen, that walnut Dusty sounds like a wonderful harp! I agree with Biagio, you will figure out how to play the harp with great technique, but it generally takes some time, especially for your callusses to build up.

    Happy harping and hope all of you have great holidays!
    Balfour (and Carol Lynn)

    in reply to: L&H Style 85 E vs. 85 CG #253998
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    Hi Biagio my friend!

    I enjoyed looking at that website you posted above. I also love the “picnic in Ravenna.” Since I think so highly of the Dusty Ravenna harps, that is pretty cool to have a town with that name!

    Karen, I hope things are going well in your search for a pedal harp for your daughter. Is this maybe going to be a Christmas present?

    Happy Holidays friends,
    Balfour

    in reply to: split fingers? #253997
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    I always use Aloe Vera for this sort of thing. You can either keep the live plants around, or buy very pure Aloe gel from a health-food store. Hope this helps.

    Happy Holidays,
    Balfour

Viewing 15 posts - 736 through 750 (of 1,492 total)