harpcolumn

Style 85 Semi-grand

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Harps and Accessories Style 85 Semi-grand

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    amyfinck
    Participant

Hi all!

I am looking at buying my first ever pedal harp!!! I am looking at buying a style 85 semi-grand from someone in my area. I’ve been to see it, and it looks like it’s in good condition. I think it sounds very nice. It was build in 2007. I was just wondering if anyone has had any experience with this harp. I couldn’t find much about it on the internet. I know many people speak highly of style 85 harps in general, is there any reason to think that this one would be any different?

Thank you guys!

charles-nix
    Participant

If you like the sound and price buy it. If you’re not sure whether you can truthfully evaluate it’s condition, hire a good technician to evaluate for you, or if the price is good, take your chances.

Harps are made of wood. Sometimes there are hidden flaws. Every major builder has built lesser and better instruments, and that may not coincide with the price of model of harp. A lot of the price is just for carving and gold, which are labor- intensive.

So see if the harp speaks to you with your touch – or not.

And, if you haven’t, several reputable technicians and stores have info on their websites about how to evaluate a used instrument. There was also an article in HC a few months back, I think. I remember Peter Wiley and Carl Swanson were two of the contributors.

balfour-knight
    Participant

Good advice, Charles!

Amy, all the #85 harps I have ever played (and owned) were very nice ones. The SG was made with 46 strings and now has been replaced with the E model which is about the same size with 47 strings. If it speaks to you, buy it, like Charles said. If in doubt, then consult a harp technician or a harp teacher. They should be able to help you make an informed decision.

Best of luck,
    Balfour

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.