balfour-knight

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 646 through 660 (of 1,492 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Question for harp builders?? #258856
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    Good questions, Charles! If I were Carl, I would set this up as a “lab experiment,” with the actual strings stretched out on a board with tuning pin, end holder of some kind, i.e. hitch pin, and moveable “bridges.” You could check out the mathematical formulas this way. Then you would need some sort of way to apply the forks of the discs to the strings and hold them that way, to sound out the actual pitches and make sure they work, since the action of the disc makes the pitch rise somewhat. It would be terrible to just rely on the math and rebuild the harp to the wrong dimensions!

    Best of luck, Carl,
    Balfour

    in reply to: Distance between adjacent strings… #258851
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    William, I have not meant to be “silent” on this post, but I have no tools to measure in metric. I could give you the measurements in inches, if you would like, but on my French Camac Atlantide Prestige, like Charles said about other harps, the strings fan out. In the bass, they are closer together near the soundboard, becoming farther apart at the string nuts at the top of the harp; and in the high treble, they are the opposite–they are farther apart at the soundboard, becoming closer together at the top string nuts. This is done to make the harp more comfortable and ergonomic to play. Once one is used to this arrangement, it is difficult to play other harps with the same degree of ease! Pedal harp, or concert, string spacing means that the strings are spaced gradually closer together as you go up the scale of the harp.

    My best to you,
    Balfour

    in reply to: Question for harp builders?? #258804
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    Hi, Bill,

    It is interesting how harp models vary with regard to string length! One would think that all concert grands would have basically the same scale, since pedal harp strings are considered to be “standard.” I used your length of C5, 102.7 cm to get the equivalent of 40.43″. I then measured that same string on my Camac Atlantide and it is 41.75″. Gregg and I have enjoyed doing this sort of string comparison between his L&H Prelude and my Atlantide. It is all very interesting!

    Cheers,
    Balfour

    in reply to: L&H prelude or Salvi Ana deluxe #258803
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    Hi, everyone!

    I agree, for anyone wanting a lever harp that is as much like a pedal harp as possible, you could not do better than the L&H Prelude. I, too, do not understand why the Salvi Ana and the Camac Mademoiselle are not strung exactly like pedal harps. There are enough other models of harps being made in the folk-harp or Celtic style.

    Harp Hugs,
    Balfour

    in reply to: Harp Notation Comparison 2 #258718
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    Hi, William,

    I just checked on my Camac Atlantide Prestige. It is no problem at all to glissando down to that low G with my right hand thumb. I could indeed go down as far as the C below that G, but that would be my practical limit.

    I hope this helps!

    Best wishes,
    Balfour

    in reply to: Question for harp builders?? #258717
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    This is a great thread, guys! I’m glad you all know what you are talking about. My sister has a Master’s Degree in math, and she helped me figure out all the formulas when I built my pipe organ. I agree with Carl, I know “very little” about all the math, ha, ha!

    Best wishes to you all,
    Balfour

    in reply to: Harp Notation Comparison 1 #258714
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    Carl’s is the best!

    in reply to: Harp Notation Comparison 2 #258713
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    I agree with Tacye!

    in reply to: Question about recorder (flute) #258606
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    Hi, Nancy,

    This is not my field of expertise, but I do not see any reason that you would need to take the recorder apart at that tight joint. I used to play the regular flute, and it came apart so that it could be fitted into its carrying case. Many times I would only take apart what I needed to in order to clean it out and dry it after playing, then reassemble it so it was ready to play the next time. Does your recorder need to fit in a case?

    Good to see your post, too, Wil.

    Harp Hugs,
    Balfour

    in reply to: Venus Paragon question! #258600
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    Hi, everyone!

    Jerusha heard back from George Flores and he doubts that the Paragon ever had discs on all 47 strings. So far, there is no evidence from any source except Roslyn’s to support this claim. Just thought you all would like an update. If anyone else turns up anything, please post it here.

    Cheers and harp hugs,
    Balfour

    in reply to: Teaching a student lines and spaces #258552
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    I think flash cards would work well with this book. I always used them with my students and had great results.

    Harp teaching hugs,
    Balfour

    in reply to: Venus Paragon question! #258546
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    Thanks, Gregg and Carl! In every photo I have ever seen of Paragons, this is the case–no discs on Low C and D. I wonder if the prototype of the Paragon could have had those, the “one and only” and that the idea was not supported by harpists in 1981 when that model came out. Another explanation might be that Venus actually said, “the discs go all the way up to high g,” and Roslyn thought that meant that there were discs on all 47 strings. This is very interesting!

    in reply to: Venus Paragon question! #258537
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    To quote from Roslyn’s book, p. 216:
    “the largest harp, Paragon, with an extended soundboard and a handsomely carved column designed in French Gothic style had forty-seven strings (g to seventh-octave C), with full mechanism action on ALL strings, and a weight of 76 lbs.” “The Paragon was available with capital, column base and pedestal gilded in gold leaf. The woods traditional to harp making, curly and bird’s-eye maple, Sitka spruce, and beech, were used in the production of Venus harps and the instruments were given extra reinforcement at stress points.”

    in reply to: Venus Paragon question! #258535
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    Thanks, Carl! I guess then, if Venus had mechanism on all 47 strings, they added more discs at the top.

    Jerusha, have you heard anything from George? I am hoping he responds.

    Thank you all so much,
    Balfour

    in reply to: Venus Paragon question! #258522
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    Hi, Jerusha,

    Thanks for your offer to ask George that question. That would be lovely!

    Have a great day,
    Balfour

Viewing 15 posts - 646 through 660 (of 1,492 total)