balfour-knight

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 631 through 645 (of 1,492 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Bringing my lever floor harp back to life! #260350
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    Hello Veronica and Talfryn,

    All great suggestions, Talfryn. Veronica, have you tried finding a harp technician in your area who could just restring and regulate this harp for you? I know you said that about the store in Madison, but there may be a harp tech who travels to someplace near where you live, to regulate harps. They are used to strings breaking and are not afraid of restringing. They also can examine the harp for any weaknesses or reasons that the strings are breaking. After a good restringing and regulation, it is much easier for the harp owner to maintain the harp, and you should not have too much breakage after that for a nice long period. Sometimes, I have had a brand new string break soon after I put it on, but I just get another one and go from there. If that happened to the harp tech, he would just put on another one, also.

    I hope this might help you cope with bringing this lovely harp “back to life.”

    Harp Hugs,
    Balfour

    in reply to: The 9 to 5 Life #260349
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    Let me just add that retirement is grand! All the restrictions of the covid made us glad to retire, and we still get to do some things we want to do in the music world. There is the occasional wedding, birthday party, or romantic dinner to play the harp for, but my greatest joy is just playing for myself or my sweet wife. My opinion about “right now” is simply this–if I like it, I will play it. I no longer have to learn or practice any kind of music I do not like, on harp, piano, or organ. I have enough lovely repertoire on all three instruments to give a private concert every evening, just for Carol Lynn, who is my best audience.

    I wish you love and peace,
    Balfour

    in reply to: Harps Depreciating/Repairs #260254
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    It largely depends on how well the harp is, and has been, taken care of. The two harps I have now better last the rest of my life, as they are my favorites of all the harps I have owned over the years.

    Harp Hugs,
    Balfour

    in reply to: Question for harp builders?? #260253
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    Carl, just wondering how this project is going, if you are willing to update us. Hope you are doing well.

    Cheers,
    Balfour

    in reply to: 00F and G Action #260142
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    I have never needed a 0G#, I just keep it tuned to 0G. It is a bit annoying to tune the rest of the harp in C flat, then put the G, C, & D pedals in Natural and tune the three strings on the harp which have NO discs. Otherwise, I do not miss the discs on those three strings, 7C, 7D, and 0G.

    Have a great day!
    Balfour

    in reply to: 00F and G Action #260115
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    Gregg, so glad to hear this! Thanks so much for checking directly with the “source.”
    Harp Hugs,
    Balfour

    in reply to: 00F and G Action #260110
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    I hope L&H have not stopped putting action on High F & G! I can do without it on G, but certainly not F.

    in reply to: 7B bass wire on Marini Made Roma Classic model?? #260086
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    Hi Gregg and all!

    Well, about all I can say here is, why doesn’t the large Roma Classic have the same standard range of the 47-string pedal harp, 7C up to 0G? This would make much more sense to me, and I dare say, to other harpists. It could even have lever-gauge strings with slightly lighter tension than pedal-gauge strings. I agree with you, the range should go up much further in the treble. These short strings are certainly not expensive! Pianos have 88 notes, standard, so large harps should have 47 standard.

    I hope some other harpists reply to this post. What do you all think?

    Harp hugs,
    Balfour

    balfour-knight
    Participant

    Dear Lisa,

    So sorry I just saw your post here. I want to reassure you that your small hands should not be a problem. Like Gretchen said, you will learn how to adjust. Have you ever studied piano? As I was growing up, my hands were very small, too, and I could not even reach an octave. I learned very quickly to just “jump” them, playing the bottom note first, followed very quickly by the top note. Harp can be the same, especially since you “roll” or “arpeggiate” intervals and chords to make it sound “harp-like.”

    I would have loved to have had larger hands, but I did a master’s degree in performance with these small hands! So continue bravely on, I say! The sky is the limit!

    Best wishes,
    Balfour

    in reply to: the passing of Kathy Chanik #260036
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    Thanks, Jerusha. This is very sad news indeed. I was remembering seeing Kathy last at the 2017 Camac Festival in Washington, D. C. and what a fun time we all had together.

    Love and peace to you all,
    Balfour

    in reply to: Question for harp builders?? #258906
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    Thanks, Bill! On my Atlantide, C7 is 61″ even though this harp stands 74.25″ tall. It is a full, beautiful Low C, with good placement on the soundboard!

    Cheers,
    Balfour

    in reply to: Question for harp builders?? #258904
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    Hi, Bill,

    That is a wonderful chart of string specifications/measurements! Incidentally, I wondered what is the sounding length of your longest string, 7C on the 85 CG? L&H used to be so proud of their long bass strings!

    Best wishes,
    Balfour

    in reply to: Contemporary Harp pieces with Effects #258866
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    William, I am not up-to-date on this subject, but look up Yolanda Kondonassis on the Internet for some ideas!

    Cheers,
    Balfour

    in reply to: L&H prelude or Salvi Ana deluxe #258865
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    Hello, Wil,

    Glad to see all your posts! That is a worthwhile question, ha, ha! Since I own the most beautiful 47-string concert grand pedal harp, I play that harp when I want or need the full range of the harp. Yes, I always miss those extra 11 notes when I play my Cherie 36-string lever harp, but I adapt quickly, “pull in,” and realize the 11 strings just are not available. With any size harp, you just play the strings that are there. Oh well, I guess I just cannot have a 47-string lever harp!

    My best wishes to you and everyone here,
    Balfour

    in reply to: L&H prelude or Salvi Ana deluxe #258857
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    Good to see all your posts, my friends! On a lever harp, I would need to have either all lever harp strings, or all pedal harp strings. In addition, I would require levers on all the strings. My Dusty FH36S meets these requirements beautifully, with all lever harp strings and complete Camac levers. Camac levers would avoid the problems you would have with other types of levers buzzing when used for very low strings. There is plenty of string clearance in these ingenius levers.

    Harp Hugs,
    Balfour

Viewing 15 posts - 631 through 645 (of 1,492 total)