balfour-knight

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 661 through 675 (of 1,492 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Teaching youngsters to tune. #258518
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    Good posts here! I agree, I would teach them to tune in the Key of C, especially if they are planning to move on to the pedal harp. E flat tuning should only be used when the student actually needs to play with other instruments in flat keys, or the music requires it. Even then, with this tuning, only three flats are possible, so the student might need to tune in A flat, D flat, G flat, or even C flat. Piano students generally begin in the Key of C, then progress to one sharp and one flat, etc. They would balk at the sight of three flats, if the method book started that way!

    Happy harp tuning, everyone,
    Balfour

    in reply to: Venus Paragon question! #258517
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    Thanks, Saul. How do I get in touch with George Flores?

    Also, if anyone knows if there were any other harps made with discs on all 47 strings, please let me know. Were there problems from those long strings vibrating in the discs and buzzing, and did it increase having to damp those low strings as the pedals were used, to avoid buzzing? I know I am used to the bottom C and D having no discs operating on them, so no chance of buzzing when a C or D pedal is being changed.

    All comments are welcome!

    Cheers,
    Balfour

    in reply to: Building a Small Harp #257252
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    Very good advice, Biagio, as usual!

    Cheers to you all,
    Balfour

    in reply to: Broken tuning pin #257251
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    Hello, Indra,

    In my opinion, I believe that L&H sent you the wrong size tuning pin. Since it will take so long for you to order and receive the correct size pin, I would agree with what Charles told you about using the fine sand-paper to fix this problem. You could even just use fine paper, cut to a small wedge-shape taper like the tuning pin, a little shorter than the length of the hole. Place the paper “wedge” in the hole, then insert the tuning pin, being careful to not dislodge the paper. Put your tuning key on the pin and turn it in and tighten it, to see if you used too much, or too little, paper. After your “fit” is correct by how much of the pin is sticking out on the string-winding side, install the string. It may work just as well as a larger pin would, and save you much time.

    Best of luck with this,
    Balfour

    in reply to: felts #257223
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    Hi Charles!

    I will add that the original cushion-wraps on Camac harp pedals are NOT these that are pictured–these are alternative leather wraps. The original ones are almost everlasting, from what I have heard and read, and you have to ask Camac directly to get replacements that are like the original carbon-fiber (or Teflon) wraps. The Camac manual states “Changing them should not be considered until there are clear signs of wear. When this occurs, ask us, and we will send you a replacement set.”

    Glad to see your posts!
    Balfour

    in reply to: felts #257141
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    Sylvia, it says they are only for Camac harps. Sorry!

    in reply to: felts #257138
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    Hello, Sylvia,

    Camac has solved this problem on their harps. They use carbon-fiber sleeves around the pedals, which rarely, if ever, need to be replaced. Unfortunately, you have to have a Camac harp to get this feature. I don’t think that it is available on other brands of harps.

    Harp Hugs,
    Balfour

    in reply to: Building a Small Harp #256985
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    Molly, that sounds exciting! Good advice, Talfryn.

    Molly, I am an experienced woodworker, and I urge you to be very careful with those power tools. Two of my friends who are also life-long professionals sawed off ends of their fingers within the last two years, horrible. When I built my cherry stool for my Dusty FH36S, “Cherie,” a sanding belt broke and sent one of the cherry legs flying. Luckily, I escaped with only a nasty bruise, but it could have been much worse. Not to try to scare you, of course, but please do be very cautious. Otherwise, I wish you the best of luck in this!

    Harp Hugs,
    Balfour

    in reply to: Is buying a pedal harp a gamble? #256975
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    Absolutely, Jerusha! Think of how beautiful the Dusty Strings harps are in natural wood satin finish. Hope you are doing well.
    Harp Hugs and best wishes,
    Balfour (and Carol Lynn)

    in reply to: Is buying a pedal harp a gamble? #256973
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    I happen to prefer the satin, low-gloss finishes on the modern harps. To me, it seems more elegant and tasteful. Carbon fiber is used by Camac and other modern harp makers to strengthen and lighten the weight of their harps. How many Camacs have ever had to have new necks? Also, you can never have a broken pedal rod on a Camac, and you never have to have the pedals re-felted. Being able to regulate them yourself speaks for itself.

    Harp Hugs,
    Balfour

    in reply to: Is buying a pedal harp a gamble? #256895
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    I posted on the other thread, but thanks so much for the update, Harper 10!

    in reply to: Lyon and Healy Style 15 a good harp? #256894
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    Thanks so much for your update, Harper 10. I am so glad that you have been so pleased with the #15 L&H. Have you heard about the new Camac Egerie harps? I have not had the pleasure of playing one yet, but it seems that this new model is replacing the Athena. If it isn’t, maybe Camac is re-designing the Athena? The Egerie is full concert grand size, and can be had with a straight or extended soundboard. It may be constructed more like their Atlantide and other upper-level harps, worth checking out.

    Wishing you all the best,
    Balfour

    in reply to: Lyon and Healy Style 15 a good harp? #256875
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    I was reading over this former thread, if any of you are interested.

    in reply to: Is buying a pedal harp a gamble? #256874
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    Hello everyone,

    I just wanted to point out that Camac pedal harps come with a 10-year warranty, as opposed to the 5 or 3 of other makers. Also, I agree that they feel different, including the pedals, but I enjoyed getting used to that difference in a couple of days. Now, I will never turn back to the other brands–they all feel very strange to me now, ha, ha! At least we can take our own personal harps with us to play at events, unlike piano and organ. Harper 10, do you still have the L&H pedal harp you purchased before?

    Harp Hugs,
    Balfour

    in reply to: Is buying a pedal harp a gamble? #256850
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    Hello, Harper 10!

    I have owned L&H harps for years and my Camac Atlantide for about 4 years, plus numerous lever harps. I have never had ANY structural or mechanical issues with any of my harps. I think that it is how well the owner takes care of them that makes the difference. Keeping them in tune, having them regulated, changing strings, felts, etc. when they need it, plus not leaving them in hot or cold cars or places unattended, extends the lives of the instruments. Many are damaged by carelessness of their owners, and with a used harp, you can’t always tell what has happened to it before you own it. Compare this to a used car, and you know exactly what I mean. If you are buying a new harp, I would recommend Camac above all the other brands.

    Hope this helps.

    Harp Hugs,
    Balfour

Viewing 15 posts - 661 through 675 (of 1,492 total)