balfour-knight

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 256 through 270 (of 1,492 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: 27 never-before-published pieces by Marcel Tournier! #306845
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    Elizabeth, I have thoroughly enjoyed having that same book! It is a fabulous edition, like all of Carl’s works. Today, I ordered his new book, the first eight pieces by Tournier in this new collection that Jerusha was so kind to tell us about here. I can’t wait to receive it–this is so exciting to be able to play and hear these previously undiscovered works by the legendary Tournier!

    Harp Hugs, everyone!
    Balfour

    in reply to: 27 never-before-published pieces by Marcel Tournier! #306780
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    Carl, where have these lovely pieces been hiding all these years? So glad you are publishing them!

    Is there any news about your edition of “The Children’s Corner”?

    Best regards,
    Balfour

    in reply to: Identify my harp and help locating repair #306779
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    Carl Swanson is the best, Cathy!

    Sid, glad to see your post.

    Best to everyone,
    Balfour

    in reply to: Is there any lever harp that sounds similar to Salvi Iris? #306778
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    I agree about Pratt, and also the Salvi lever harps themselves. Probably the pedal-tension ones would suit your tastes the best. You would need to test-drive them yourself to make sure the tone pleases you, so enjoy “going to a few centers to try out some harps.” Have you also considered a small pedal harp, like the 40-string Daphne by Salvi? Such a harp could be latter traded up for the Iris!

    Best wishes in your quest,
    Balfour

    in reply to: I have a Clark Harp #306777
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    Hi Suzanne–you do not say where you are located–if USA, you could get in touch with Vermont Strings to see if they could supply strings like the harp would have had originally.

    John, if you read this, how is your Clark harp restoration coming along?

    Best wishes, everyone!
    Balfour

    in reply to: Electric harps in 2023? #306281
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    Yes, Anna, there was a nice article in Harp Column Magazine about the Harp-E recently. I have not had the opportunity to play one yet, but they sound like they are very innovative. I prefer larger harps, though! (at least 36 strings)

    Jerusha, thanks for the news about David Kortier–so sad to lose another harpmaker.

    Best regards to all of you,
    Balfour

    in reply to: Best lever harp for Celtic repertoire? #306265
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    I agree completely, Jerusha! How could I recommend Camac without saying something wonderful about my Dusty FH36S? My “Cherie” is my favorite lever harp of all time, and I have had her since 2015. She is so special that I only own ONE lever harp. I love the beautiful figured cherry wood, both for its appearance and its most wonderful sound! Also, this harp is blessed with Camac levers, my favorite! All different types of music are possible and beautiful on this harp, including Celtic.

    Good to see your post here, Jerusha.

    Harp Hugs and best wishes,
    Balfour

    in reply to: A444 Tuning #306083
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    All of my instruments are tuned at A440.

    in reply to: Best lever harp for Celtic repertoire? #306082
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    check out the Camac line of fine lever harps!

    in reply to: String shortage again? #306039
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    Bill, I have used Premier gut strings available from the Atlanta and the Virginia Harp Centers, with great success. I did this on my L&H 85 when Bow Brands broke, and now on my Camac Atlantide Prestige. There is virtually no difference in the tone or feel, except that Premier is a little better, in my humble opinion. I still use Bow Brand wires, though!

    in reply to: Out of Stock for Over the Rainbow #306038
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    I would ask Sylvia Woods!

    in reply to: Tuning to Eflat #305395
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    Good answer, Charles! I keep my lever harp tuned in C, period. If I need to play in flat keys, I use my pedal harp. However, I wanted to mention one “trick” about using a C-tuned lever harp to play in “flats.” If you need to play a piece in F, you can tune the lever harp to F#, 6 sharps, and “pretend” you are playing in F. The same works for B flat–just play in B, and for E flat, just play in E. You probably will have some accidentals that need transposing, but for me, all this works very well. The one drawback is if you are playing with other musicians who want the actual key, not a half-step away from that key!

    Harp Hugs,
    Balfour

    in reply to: Which lever harp for a rich sound? #302914
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    That is wonderful news, Jaydg! I just looked on Pilgrim’s website and that sounds/looks like a nice little harp–concert tension and spacing, plus light-weight for portability. I envy your being so close to Edinburgh, though! We are about that same distance from the Atlanta Harp Center which is in Georgia, USA, and they feature nice harps and events there.

    Congratulations on your new harp!

    Harp Hugs from both of us,
    Balfour and Carol Lynn

    in reply to: Is this normal? #302242
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    That’s too funny about your mother, Philippa, ha, ha! How long did it take her to get to the point of playing Beethoven’s slow movement of the Pathetique? I love that entire Sonata.

    I have not read Play It Again. I will try to find it.

    Happy Easter, everyone! Harp Hugs,
    Balfour (and Carol Lynn)

    in reply to: Mystery harp, can anyone identify? #302181
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    Wil, I believe you are correct that this harp is a Salvi Renaissance. I found one for sale on-line and it has this same “look.” The only difference is that the one pictured here has the added brass plate on the lever side of the neck, and the one I saw for sale does not.

    Have a great day!
    Balfour

Viewing 15 posts - 256 through 270 (of 1,492 total)