harpcolumn

A444 Tuning

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Coffee Break A444 Tuning

Tagged: , ,

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Paul and Brenda
    Participant

Has anyone tried tuning A444? Or A432? Some say these tunings are more soothing than A440.

balfour-knight
    Participant

All of my instruments are tuned at A440.

That is a high tuning, it will increase the stress on your sounding board. If anything, I think lower tunings would be more “soothing.”

juanmariasolare
    Participant

In my opinion, tuning to 444 Hz might be practical only if you are playing chamber music with (say) a woodwind such as saxophone or clarinet (they tend to be tuned slightly higher than other instruments). If playing alone, it is up to you (and to the strenght of your instrument!), but if you go for soothing sounds, as @Saul suggested, I’d recommend going for a lower tuning.

Having said that, there are a lot of extramusical considerations when tuning at 432 Hz. Numerological, neo-mystical and not always research-based considerations. But you will not hurt your instrument if you tune at 432. On the contrary, I can’t afirm the same of the opposite (i.e. tuning much higher than 440 MIGHT harm your instrument).

Juan MarĂ­a

• This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by juanmariasolare. Reason: html not accepted
    balfour-knight
    Participant

I agree completely Juan! Thank you for posting.

Hope you have a great day!
    Balfour

Tuning differently will really bother people who have perfect pitch.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Replies