balfour-knight

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 196 through 210 (of 1,492 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: New tear-out tune “Cerulean Sky” #321443
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    OK, harpists out there! Let’s get some feedback on this beautiful piece! I hope someone has something to say about it. I have appreciated and enjoyed all of the tear-out tunes so far, and I think it is truly a special gift from the composers and Harp Column, for us to be able to get these free-of-charge.

    Happy Harping, my friends,
    Balfour

    in reply to: Music Makers Jolie opinions #320891
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    The folks at Musicmakers are always so nice! I used to own a large Gothic 36 made by them, and it also had tremendous volume, without using a mic. For a warmer tone, you could also use lever-gauge gut or New Nylgut NGH strings, but do make sure of the correct lever-harp scaling, if going over to lever-gut from lever-nylon! Aquila, USA, who provides the New Nylgut strings, will help you obtain a good scale when going from nylon to New Nylgut. There is no problem going from real gut to Nylgut, as you just use the exact same gauge scale.

    Happy Harping!
    Balfour

    in reply to: Nylgut Strings by Aquila #319657
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    Sid, I know that you have said in the past that you have nylons on your L&H 23 down through the third octave, since they are “brighter” than the gut. These new Nylguts sound like gut, but ring out longer. They do not have the bright nylon sound, but I can pluck them more strongly than nylon, giving a great sound up there in the treble. When I would pluck the former nylons strongly, I did not like the resulting “explosive” sound, which you don’t get with the nylguts. On the other hand, these new nylguts can be played softly, producing that “to die for” gut-strung harp sound. The nylguts are capable of a wide range of dynamics and expression. You don’t have to adjust your plucking technique when you go from the real gut up into the nylgut, and the nylguts stay in tune, requiring very little adjustment. Mine only took 2 or 3 days to acclimate on the harp, and have not stretched very much since then. They run about $3.50 each, with enough length to make two or three strings in the treble, so you automatically have spares. The larger gauges cost a little more, of course.

    Hope this helps.

    Harp Hugs and best wishes,
    Balfour

    in reply to: Nylgut Strings by Aquila #318395
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    I had time to look up a suitable scale for the 4th and 5th octaves:

    4E–1.24mm
    4D–1.28
    4C–1.40 Red
    4B–1.45
    4A–1.50
    4G–1.60
    4F–1.70 Black

    5E–1.80mm
    5D–1.90
    5C–2.00 Red
    5B–2.00 or 2.20 (Aquila does not list 2.10)
    5A–2.20 (Aquila does not list 2.30. They do list 2.40, but this would be “heavy gauge.”)

    in reply to: Nylgut Strings by Aquila #318284
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    Hello Sid,

    I am happy to post the gauges (metric) for the pedal-harp New Nylgut strings below:
    (You do have to specify Natural, Black or Red.) These indeed do sound like real gut strings.

    0G–.44mm
    0F–.46mm Black
    1E–.48
    1D–.50
    1C–.52 Red
    1B–.54
    1A–.56
    1G–.60
    1F–.64 Black
    2E–.66
    2D–.70
    2C–.73 Red
    2B–.76
    2A–.82
    2G–.85
    2F–.88 Black
    3E–.91
    3D–.94
    3C–1.00 Red
    3B–1.04
    3A–1.08
    3G–1.12
    3F–1.20mm Black

    Most of us who play the pedal harp like to keep real gut strings on our 4th and 5th Octaves, but you could try the New Nylgut there and experiment to see if you like it. The thickest Nylgut gauge is 2.40mm, but the lowest gut string, 5th octave A, would only use a 2.29 or 2.30mm. I could provide Nylgut gauges for the 4th and 5th Octaves if any of you would like those too.

    I hope this helps. I meant to post these earlier–thanks for asking, Sid.

    Harp Hugs,
    Balfour

    in reply to: Mildred Dilling Model harp #318253
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    Kristen, where are you located? I am in western North Carolina, USA. I was just wondering who to recommend to look at your harp and give you a proper appraisal.

    Harp Hugs and best wishes,
    Balfour (and Carol Lynn)

    in reply to: Nylgut Strings by Aquila #317966
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    Update–the new nylgut strings have now been on my pedal harp since Dec. 24–THREE MONTHS, and they are doing great! Has anyone else tried them? Please let me know here on this thread.

    Harp Hugs,
    Balfour

    in reply to: Which lever harp to buy #317961
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    Amalia, those recordings were most likely made at different times, under different circumstances. I assure you that the Troubadour in person has a much larger, fuller sound than the smaller Ogden. According to Gregg, the Troub also sounds larger and fuller than his Prelude!

    in reply to: Which lever harp to buy #317644
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    Good posts here, everyone! It has been a few years since I had an opportunity to play a Troubadour VI and an Ogden side-by-side at the Atlanta Harp Center. If I had been in the market to buy one of those, I would have chosen the Troubadour. It had a bigger, richer sound, and seemed to be professional, compared to the student-model Ogden. Like Gregg said, the 36 strings gave the Troub a nice range, and it had the 3rd, 4th, and 5th octaves strung in pedal gut, very nice!

    Although I own one of the very best Camac concert-grand pedal harps, I have never found a Camac lever harp that I wanted to buy. (Mine is a Dusty Strings FH36S in cherry, with Camac levers!) I can, however, vouch for the high quality of Camac harps in general. If you get a chance to try out some Camac lever harps, you might find one to your liking. How about a harp camp or conference?

    Happy Harping, my friends!
    Balfour

    in reply to: New tear-out tune “Cerulean Sky” #315571
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    I did listen to the piece on harpcolumnmusic.com and I like to play it a bit slower. It has a more peaceful sound if you enjoy playing it slower, but it is still very nice played “Spring-like” at a faster tempo! Lever harpists are going to enjoy having NO lever changes throughout the piece, and this same thing goes for no pedal changes, either! Just sit down and play this one for pleasure.

    Enjoy playing this lovely piece, harp friends!
    Balfour

    in reply to: A444 Tuning #314543
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    I agree completely Juan! Thank you for posting.

    Hope you have a great day!
    Balfour

    in reply to: What is it?? #310334
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    Hello again, Philippa, and all!

    Gregg shared something with me today about Shield Harps. They are very similar to the photo above that you posted! Just search “Shield Harps” and I think you will get the website, and there is also a video demonstrating them that you can watch.

    Enjoy!
    Balfour

    in reply to: DUSTY STRINGS Ravenna 34 vs. FH34S CHERRY #308967
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    So glad you enjoyed the story, Lily! I still think of your name every time I bake something delicious with White-Lily flour. It is so light, fun to sift, and always makes cakes, cookies, rolls, biscuits and pastries turn out well. My family has used that brand for years!

    Happy Harp Playing,
    Balfour

    in reply to: DUSTY STRINGS Ravenna 34 vs. FH34S CHERRY #308962
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    Lily, I like to describe the sound of my cherry-wood FH36S as being like eating a chocolate-covered cordial cherry! I love these around Christmas time, ever since I was a little boy and another boy at school gave me a box of them for Christmas. We drew names for gifts back then and I loved my present! Cherie has the same delicious deep, rich, warm sparkle in sound that the chocolate-covered cherries have in taste. I think this specific quality of sound/tone sits right in the middle of all the other woods that Dusty uses to build their harps.

    Delicious harp and candy hugs,
    Balfour

    in reply to: THANK YOU for helping me find my dream harp! #308960
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    Lily, so sorry you are having this much trouble sending a photo. Maybe contact the Harp Column staff and see if they can help!

    Kindest regards,
    Balfour

Viewing 15 posts - 196 through 210 (of 1,492 total)