harpcolumn

What is it??

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Harps and Accessories What is it??

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Philippa mcauliffe
    Participant

Advertised as a “rare harp” – rare being the operative word.

Anyone seen one of these in action?

Philippa mcauliffe
    Participant

try again to upload the harpy object!

Philippa mcauliffe
    Participant

Mybe this will upload

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    balfour-knight
    Participant

Hi Philippa!

Maybe it’s a “dating harp,” like a “dating dulcimer.” These were made for a man and woman to play together when they were dating. As long as music could be heard being played, it functioned as a self-chaperoning device. Otherwise, my wife says “it looks like two harps ran into each other in the dark,” ha, ha!

Best wishes to you,
    Balfour and Carol Lynn

balfour-knight
    Participant

Hello again, Philippa, and all!

Gregg shared something with me today about Shield Harps. They are very similar to the photo above that you posted! Just search “Shield Harps” and I think you will get the website, and there is also a video demonstrating them that you can watch.

Enjoy!
    Balfour

Gregg Bailey
    Participant

Yes, this looks like one of those Rawson Shield harps. Did this one get left outside for a long period of time or something?? Anyway, the player sits on one side in the normal manner, and the strings on the player’s half are the naturals, while the strings opposite the player are the sharps, if this is indeed a Rawson harp. I wonder if it’s either an earlier version or else perhaps someone else’s take on the concept, as the construction looks a little different from the Rawson ones, particularly the soundboards.

Did you ever find out any more about this, Philippa? Where was it advertised?

-Gregg

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Replies