column

Your experiences on arranging and performing Scarlatti sonatas

Home Forums Coffee Break Your experiences on arranging and performing Scarlatti sonatas

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    phoebe-powell
    Participant

Hello all, I am curious to know your experiences of arranging Scarlatti sonatas and what difficulties you found in playing them, and how you worked to perform them as historically accurately as possible. Would love to hear your thoughts!
    Phoebe

paul-knoke
    Participant

Hi Phoebe
    I apologize for answering your question with a question, to some degree, but I’m interested in something of which I see quite a bit in the harp world. If you’re interested in some degree of historicism, which is most laudable, and is indicated by your post, I’m wondering why you’re looking at transcriptions of keyboard music rather than compositions originally for harp? The sonatas of Hochbrucker or Meyer, while of a slightly later date than Scarlatti, carry much of the same character as some of the Scarlatti sonatas, and some similar technical challenges. The music is available from Fuzeau and Ut Orpheus, but few harpists are familiar with this repertory for our instrument. I’ve never understood why….
    Thanks,
    Paul

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.