harpcolumn

Writing Compositions and Hymn Tune Arranging for Adv. Lever Harp

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Teaching the Harp Writing Compositions and Hymn Tune Arranging for Adv. Lever Harp

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    shari-faber
    Participant

I am interested in writing or arranging some music myself.

unknown-user
    Participant

I used PrintMusic in my college music theory classes, and liked it very much. It is sort of a “baby” version of Finale, and since it didn’t have as many features as Finale, it was a lot less expensive. (although it looks like the price has gone up). It was also NOT overwhelming to learn how to do what I needed to do.

http://www.finalemusic.com/store/productoverview.aspx

There is also a product that Finale makes called NotePad, which is free. (Free is good). You might want to try that out first, to see if it will meet your needs.

Shannon

unknown-user
    Participant

Oops, I needed to add — I am a beginner on harp, and don’t know

tony-morosco
    Participant

I use Allegro, which is a mid version of Finale between the full Finale and Print Music. Sylvia Woods sells special font sets of Harp notation for the Finale series that are very useful.

If you are not experienced with music theory and arranging / composition techniques then I recommend the following books:

Music Theory and Arranging Techniques for the Folk Harp by Sylvia Woods

The Complete Idiots Guide to Music Theory by Michael Miller

The Complete Idiots Guide to Music Composition by Michael Miller

Edly’s Music Theory for Practical People by Ed Roseman

Composing Music, A New Approach by William Russo

How to Play from a Fake Book by Blake Neely

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.