harpcolumn

How would you teach a 5 year old ?

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Teaching the Harp How would you teach a 5 year old ?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Alison
    Participant

I know several renowned harpists have started this young, but as a teacher, how do you get started, given the obstacles and risk to the instrument ?

Make it fun, and read up on child development. The ABC of Harp Playing is geared to very young students. I don’t see risk to the instrument.

Alison
    Participant

I need a bit more than that !

Kim Davidson
    Participant

I am currently teaching a 5 year old and it is going wonderfully! Some advice – I would only take a student that young if the parent/parents were committed to helping. The mom comes to every lesson and takes extensive notes so that she can work with the daughter during the week. Lesssons are a half hour and I am careful to never be in a hurry for her to learn or perfect concepts.
    I am using a combination of Suzuki and traditional teaching. They have purchased the Suzuki book and CD, student listens to the CD continually. We often work on just one concept from a song in a lesson (ex. Lavender’s Blue – placeing 4 fingers one week, next week, place & play, etc.). We also use Pamela Burner’s “Play the Harp Beautifully”, so she is learning to read note and rhythms.
    I’m excited about how it is going, but I know that it would not work without the mom there – it’s definitely a joint effort.

Alison
    Participant
    Alison
    Participant

See below

Alison
    Participant

Well now, a very small shy child and with my smallest harp and a few tricks up my sleeve, we made steady progress in one lesson, on the alphabet and string names etc. So with a child keen and able to learn, we were all happy !!! Have to admit I hadn’t thought this possible. My middle C song which I use on new starters worked out great, as it’s not a concert piece ! It’s also lovely to make new friends this way.

Thank you for that link. I have been looking for things like that for years. I know that when I was a teen, I felt incapable of controlling my fingers other than playing notes, I could not change technically. I thought it was a developmental issue, but it could have been something closer to home as well.

anthony eshiveley
    Participant

im sorry for deadpost but it’s very useful thread for me. Im learning how to play harp and you people helped me alot. Even through time i need to say thanks!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.