harpcolumn

Wire-strung harp

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Amateur Harpists Wire-strung harp

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    randal
    Participant

I’m considering acquiring a small wire-strung harp.

andee-craig
    Participant

I bought a small Argent Fox wire strung harp from Melody’s Traditional Music about 10 years ago. I was very unhappy with it as the neck began to twist away from the pillar.

Melody’s was very accommodating and let me upgrade to a Triplett 25 string wire harp which was so much better. It was sturdy and beautiful to look at and the sound was gorgeous. I did get frustrated though with tuning it as wire harps are so much more temperamental than nylon or gut harps and the slightest turn of the tuning key often resulted in strings breaking.

I would still recommend Triplett over Argent Fox but maybe they have improved a lot in 10 years? Their website looks really good.

peg-coats
    Participant

There are quite a few makers of wire strung harps. Here’s a list of wire strung harp makers (check the bottom of the page): http://dorveille.com/links-resources/harp-makers-sellers/

Craig Pierpont of Another Era Lutherie and James Skeen of Folc Harps both have sound reputations for making really nice affordable wire-strung harps. Depending on the number of strings you want, Stoney End makes a 22 string that is not too expensive.

HTH!

Peg

randal
    Participant

Thanks very much for all the suggestions

I looked at all the US makers…unfortunately my budget is severely limited, and this could likely

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘Amateur Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Recent Replies