harpcolumn

Wire strung harp

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums How To Play Wire strung harp

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Molly
    Participant

Recently I came across some magical-sounding harp music and came to learn it was wire harp! My first thought was “ouch!” that must hurt to play. But then I saw a video of someone playing one and it looks like you play with the fingernails. Can any wire harpers out there describe how one plays a wire strung harp? I am not sure how you’d find your way with not having any colored strings either.. I am really intrigued and want to learn more!

Biagio
    Participant

Probably the best site to answer your questions would be (guess what?) the Wire Strung Harp website:
    https://www.wirestrungharp.com/

Briefly though…yes, it is customary to play these with the finger nails but not necessary and no, using the pads does not hurt. The strings ring so loudly that just a touch is enough to set them singing. That in fact is perhaps the major issue compared to nylon or gut: you have to damp more often or the sound gets muddy. Some are also made with narrower string spacing than you might be used to (see above, fingernails).

Some “clarsairs” do color the strings with DyeKem (dye makers layout fluid) or similar. However there are techniques that really make seeing the strings almost unnecessary; for instance, Coupled Hands, developed by Ann Heymann.

I have two wire strung harps and two nylon strung and go back and forth with little problem.

The main problem is that not many luthiers make them these days!

Biagio
    Participant

Follow-up: often one can string a smallish nylon strung harp with steel (in smaller diameters of course), while keeping the same range. Alternatively, one may use brass or bronze for a more traditional tone, but drop the range – typically by four steps. The Musicmakers Limerick is one candidate; while no longer in production, plans are still available. Another still in production would be the Triplett Zephyr.

So if you find one of those second hand at a good price give it a try. The string design for either steel or bronze is well known – just ask a string maker such as Robinson’s Harp Shop.

Or if you can do simple wood working you can build Rick Kemper’s Waldorf (plans are free) available at Sligo Harps and just replace the nylon with bronze a few steps lower as follows: A5-G4 0.016″; F4-D4 0.018″; C4-A3 0.020″; G3 0.022″; F3-D3 0.025″;C3-B2 0.028″ A2 0.032″

Some misguided people will say that “wire strung harps are at much higher tension”; not true but they FEEL that way because metal is not very elastic compared to nylon or gut. Traditionally these did not have either bridge pins nor sharping devices, but that’s not really an issue if you are careful about winding the strings on.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 10 months ago by Biagio.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Replies