harpcolumn

William Walton – Henry V Suite

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Repertoire William Walton – Henry V Suite

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    JohnBrisbane

Hello everyone,

I’m John from Brisbane, Australia. This is my fist post here as I relatively new to the harp (4 years, after being an oboist for many before that) and have been recently started playing in orchestras which I’m really enjoying.

I am playing William Walton’s Henry V Suite later in 2015 and am trying really hard to get my hands on a copy of the harp part before the library set arrives to the orchestra I’m playing it with. Kinda don’t want to see it for the first time at the first rehearsal!

Does anyone happen to have a copy of that part by any chance? It’s a little obscure I know.

Thank you so much for any help in advance!

Best regards
    John

I have a couple of pages of this piece, but not the whole thing.

JohnBrisbane

Thank you so much, Elizabeth. Any page would be wonderful and I have messaged you back.

Thank you so much 🙂

If you can get hold of an orchestral score and a recording, that will help you a lot.

Alison
    Participant

I can help – email or friend me as I can never find others profiles…… Alison.
    Also OUP hold ALL their stock in the USA somewhere perhaps they can help.

JohnBrisbane

Thank you so much, Alison. I have sent you a message 🙂

@alison-p-wilson

Yes, you may request the publisher send you some pages, if they refuse to make the whole part available. I don’t know if they will or not, but perhaps they will feel like being helpful.
    I loved playing the harp part in Walton’s Viola Concerto. I think he is the pre-eminent British composer of the 20th century, but sadly being overshadowed by Britten.

Kathers
    Participant

Hi I’m in the UK and have been asked to play this Walton piece at the end of October, but won’t be getting the score until mid-September. It seems quite obscure. John have you performed it yet – how did it go? Does anyone who’s played it have any tips they could give me??
    Many thanks

JohnBrisbane

Hi Kathers

Email me and I’ll send a copy. I’m rehearsing it a present. It’s got a couple of little tricky bits but it’s not too bad.
    John – johnpatrickconnolly22@gmail.com

Kathers
    Participant

Thank you!

MusikFind1
    Participant

There are two publications:

1.William Walton
    Suite from Henry V
    “Composed in 1943 for the film and adapted for concert use by Muir Mathieson, with the composer’s authorization.”
    Duration: 15 min., 15 sec.
    1 miniature score (68 pages)
    Conductor’s score and parts on rental – orchestral suite (original version Arranged by Muir Mathieson )
    2 fl (both+picc), 2 ob (II+ca), 2 cl, 2 bn, 4 hn, 2 tpt, 3 tbn, tba (opt), timp, 2 perc, hp, str
    as of 31 March 1969 Available on Hire only.
    London, Oxford University Press, Music Dept. [1964]
    Overture, The Globe Playhouse —
    Passacaglia, Death of Falstaff —
    Charge and battle —
    Touch her soft lips and part —
    Agincourt song.

The miniature score which was for sale is no longer listed in the Oxford sales website. (130 academic libraries own this score)
    The score and parts are now on rental from Oxford. In the U.S. C.F.Peters, see below.
    http://ukcatalogue.oup.com/p2p/endecaSearch.do?keyword=walto%20henry%20V
    ===================
    2. There is also a Walton edition arr. Malcolm Sargent which is on rental.
    William Walton
    Henry V Suite
    This full score and associated performing material is drawn from the 2010 edition by David Lloyd-Jones, contained in Volume 22 of the William Walton Complete Edition. These materials may be used to perform either the Choral Suite created by Malcolm Sargent or the Orchestral Suite created by Muir Mathieson (albeit in the composer’s full orchestration).
    Dur: 16 minutes
    Moderately difficult to Difficult
    3 fl (2nd+picc, 3rd+picc), 2 ob, ca, 3 cl, 2 bn, 4 hn, 3 tpt, 3 tbn, tba, timp, perc, hp, hpschd, str
    Percussion: s drums, tabor, t drum, B drum, cymb, bell, tamb

Movements:
    London 1600 and Overture: ‘The Globe Playhouse’; Passacaglia: The Death of Falstaff; Touch her soft lips and part; Agincourt Song

http://ukcatalogue.oup.com/product/9780193409439.do

Oxford U. Press.
    198 Madison Ave. New York, NY 10016-4314 USA
    Tel: 212-726-6109; rentals: 718-416-7821
    Fax: 212-726-6441; rentals: 718-416-7823
    rentals@cfpeters-ny.com (Agent for rentals for USA, Mexico, Central & South America)
    C. F. Peters Corp. Glendale, NY 11385
    See: Counterpoint Musical Services Inc. (for Canada)
    music.hire.uk@oup.com (for rest of world) music.enquiry.uk@oup.com
    http://www.oup.co.uk/music; http://www.oup.com/us/music

[The most fun is had when the conductor arrives with one score and the orchestra has the other publication]

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.