harpcolumn

Why make another recording of the Same ole Same ole????

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Professional Harpists Why make another recording of the Same ole Same ole????

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    paul-wren
    Participant

Recently I was going through several of my CD’s looking for a recording of a certain harp piece that I am working on.

helen-rudd
    Participant

Here’s one you may not have seen with many recordings I haven’t seen elsewhere.

http://www.amazon.com/Harp-Dreamlike-Strain-Angelo-Bovio/dp/B000222YGY

It is full of Victorian pieces, very lovely. It includes pieces by Felix Godefroid, Charles Oberthur and John Balsir Chatterton as well as Bovio and Lorenzi.

Asha the Nagini
    Participant

I spoke to the harpist in question a few weeks ago; right now it’s unavailable, but she says she’s working to get her rights back for the CD, and then she’ll put it out again.

I agree, we have a broad and rich repertoire. The Faure is a masterpiece, so it is okay to hear it again if it is well played. I may record it, because I know it. We all study it, so it is inevitable. But we definitely, at this time, have way too many recordings of the same kinds of pieces, and way too few of even standard repertoire. And certain recordings have not been re-issued, like Zabaleta’s recording of the Ginastera, Saint-Saens and Tailleferre concerti. But another force behind recordings is what repertoire the competitions are requiring, as the contestants are among the people most likely to make cds. I would love to have the money to set up a first-class harp-focused recording company.

carl-swanson
    Participant

I agree with you Paul. When I browse harp recordings, I look primarily for pieces that I don’t know. That is what is most likely to get me to buy the CD. If I see too many pieces that I know, I’ll let it pass.

The same thing is happening on a larger scale in classical music recording. I remember hearing a recording executive a couple of years ago say that there isn’t an orchestra in the world that can put out a recording of a Tchaikowsky symphony and sell more than 10,000 recordings worldwide.

barbara-brundage
    Participant

> I remember hearing a recording executive a couple of years ago say that there isn’t an orchestra in the world that can put out a recording of a Tchaikowsky symphony and sell more than 10,000 recordings worldwide.

While I hate to say it, I would say that 10,000 recordings is probably a pretty darned respectable number for ANY classical recording these days, Carl.

carl-swanson
    Participant

That’s sadly true Barbara.

Tacye
    Participant

I wonder who is buying most harp CDs?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The forum ‘Professional Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Recent Replies