harpcolumn

Why don’t more people play harp?

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Coffee Break Why don’t more people play harp?

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Alison
    Participant

I’ve thought of another simple reason ! Too many parents tell their children they can’t because of course, the parents can see the practical and financial difficulties. I often hear

sherry-lenox
    Participant

Of all of the instruments on which one can begin, I think harp is actually in the category of the harder ones.

Yes it is possible to make beautiful sounds quickly, but if one aspires to play a certain style of music, and play well, that result can be elusive.

Over my five years of lessons I have often become frustrated but in the last 6 months or so, I’ve been feeling much more positive about my goals. Some musicians can’t deal with that kind of frustration.

Also, when some young people come to the harp they’ve played piano for a period of time and are shocked to learn that they need to go back to the beginning to develop good technique for the harp, then wish to quit and go back to piano.

Beginning harpists need ongoing encouragement. If they receive it, at least for me, it’s hard to rip the harp out of my gnarled little fingers.

kay-lister

I think the harp has always kind

shelby-m
    Participant

I think with any instrument, there comes a point of frustration which can either make or break your relationship with the instrument.

deb-l
    Participant

Harp is an expensive instrument for one person.

deb-l
    Participant

I just love what Sylvia wrote:

‘The more expensive kinds take a lot of committment financially,
    especially if you buy them yourself.

I suspect the harp is rather easy to learn with the right teacher. Too many do not do the most basic things: hold the hand in position so the student can feel how it should be, and feel the fingers going in and out in the right fashion. And then, constantly correcting deviations. If you don’t start it right in the beginning, you will have a hard time fixing it later on. Or someone else will. And give the students tools they can use. If their knuckles are weak, show them how to strengthen them on the harp (pushing them out against the lower string), holding a baton or pencil under the joint. How things are actually done. Don’t leave to accident, chance or habit.

There was a harpist in the Sousa band. It could be rolled around on a platform in a marching band. There are “portable” harps. There are not so many obstacles.

Sarah Mullen
    Participant

Every single day I perform people come up to me and tell me how they always wanted to play the harp, or how much their child wants to play.

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.