harpcolumn

Who is in this picture????

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Coffee Break Who is in this picture????

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    carl-swanson
    Participant

Someone recently sent me this photograph and asked if I could identify one of the people in it. There are actually 2 people in this photo that I don’t recognize. For context: The photo was taken at the Denver AHS Conference in 1988, and Carol Mclaughlin was the opening night soloist. She’s standing in the center of this line. All of the other women in this picture are harpists that had performed at past AHS harp conferences. Starting on the left, the first harpist is Katherine Gotthoffer. I don’t know who the second person is.The third is Phia Berghout, then Carol. The person to the right of Carol is the main mystery woman. I have no idea who that is. Next to her is, I believe, Phyllis Scholmovitz, then Lynn Palmer, then all the way to the right, Ann Mason Stockton.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Gayle Levant?

carl-swanson
    Participant

Hi Saul- Turns out that is not Gayle Levant. So I’m still trying to find out who it is. Had to be a pretty good professional harpist.

Alison
    Participant

Could the player 2 to the right of Carol in the picture be Heidi Lehwalder, whom you haven’t mentioned at all & not Phyllis Scholmovitz who would have been a little older ?

carl-swanson
    Participant

No, that’s not Heidi. I’m sure that that person (white dress) to the right of Carol is Phyllis. I’m still stumped on the two mystery women that I mentioned in the first post above.

catherine-rogers
    Participant

The lady second from left in the bright floral gown is Julia Herrmann Edwards.

carl-swanson
    Participant

Thank you Catherine. I know the name, but had never seen a picture of her. Was she an orchestra harpist? What did she do?

eva-murphy
    Participant

The lady in the bright green floral dress second from left is indeed Julia Hermann Edwards. Most of her professional career she was known as Julia Hermann. She served as Principal Harpist of the Dallas Symphony Orchestra for 24 years, retiring from the Symphony in 1977. She grew up in Oklahoma and earned her undergrad degrees in piano and harp there. She studied harp also under Madame Ludwig in Chicago. Julia Hermann then studied under Grandjany at Juilliard for several years, and earned both levels of performance certificates there (comparable to undergrad and grad degrees). Julia taught for decades at Southern Methodist University in Dallas. Her many former students who became successful harpists are a credit to her fine teaching. Her most prominent former student: Emily Mitchell, winner of the Israel Contest around 1979 (after Emily continued her studies under Eileen Malone and Marisa Robles).
    Julia (along with Grandjany) founded the Dallas, Texas Chapter of AHS in 1963, and she served multiple terms as chapter president. She performed for multiple summers at Chautauqua. Julia Herrmann Edwards performed solo at AHS National conferences. She married Roy “Jack” Edwards,Lt.Col., Ret. late in life, upon her retirement from the Dallas Symphony (interestingly, Jack Edwards had been her high school sweetheart).

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.