harpcolumn

Which style is the better?

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Coffee Break Which style is the better?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    lyn-boundy
    Participant

Gretchen – your comment ‘who was I to know about different teaching methods?’ really strikes a chord. Most people on this forum have far more experience of playing than I have but I guess we all started out knowing very little and just wanting to play. Anything that achieves that outcome is just fine and having been lucky enough to find a tutor whose style, personality and ethos suit me perfectly, I’m more than willing to let her be the one to worry about the actual teaching style. Oh, and I dream of having started to learn at 19 😉

andee-craig
    Participant

I wish I had started at 19, too! But it’s true, when we are first starting out it’s more about just wanting to play, and not about the method. I think I was very very lucky to have found a teacher that suited my learning style perfectly. From the very start I found I was playing much more complicated music by ear than I ever could have if I had been learning from written music.

There are some traditional teachers (not just harp but fiddle and other instruments) that use music, but with those teachers, at some point you’ve got to internalize the music and let the paper go. At least with trad Irish music. My teacher’s husband once said that playing Irish music while reading it is like reciting Shakespeare rather than becoming the character.

laura-ann-barber
    Participant

Thank You Gretchan! I did just that and wow. It sure was a heated discussion and informative. I have noticed some harpists have no choice of the matter of who their instructor was. So as long as they got along should be the most important factor.

laura-ann-barber
    Participant

Thank you Lynn! Finding the right fit is important. I have searched high and low and believe it or not, SKYPE has allowed me to reach more instructors and interview them in ways that may be unconventional-but worked for me. I am pleased with the way things turned out. Granted a tad late in my years to even start, I am most grateful for the journey!

laura-ann-barber
    Participant

Tony,
    You set my mind at ease extremely. Thank you kindly for your thoughts on style, technique, modes of enhancing repertoire and just keeping perspective of what is important. Music, not just the style. Thank you for saying that I will not be limited in a certain style. I am not sure why I felt that way, maybe its because I have not seen much improv in my area and just professional classical that is all. I guess it is what you do with the basics of form, technique down good enough and layering with what you want, voice, duo, trio, recording, and genres. I like the way you said that the tecniques are tried and tested ways. This is all new to me and I really felt limited in my “future career” as a professional due to my limitations in attaining a bold degree with a fancy degree. I need a degree and want credentials but alas I can not afford it.
    Jazz sounds fun. Get the foundations down and then create. That takes an impeccable amount of time, but I bet it is worth it being able to play improv! Maybe one day I will develop techinique like you. Thank again Tony.

laura-ann-barber
    Participant

Gooooood Point Grethen on both accounts! 100 years of a great technique and others staying around and putting out some really great musicians is proof enough for me. Also changing my research topic was done after reading these posts . So I apologize for the couple day late response. I changed it completely! My research paper will be on how Certified Music Practitioners who use specialized training in a medical setting to provide peaceful bedside individualized service using Harps, consequently adding a whole new dimension to the healing process for the patient, staff, visitors and family of patient. I will also touch briefly live Harp music being used in the pediatric care, hospice, birthing rooms, and chemotherapy patients and the relief that a Harp Music Practitioner can provide while the patient is coping with the impact of their situation. It is rather different but thanks to Harp Column I can connect to people in my research and find a possible occupation with use of my harps. Thank again!

laura-ann-barber
    Participant

Thank you so much Eliza for your well balance and experienced viewpoint. Which it is rare to hear from an individual that has learned from more than one set way. I am gaining an understanding that if you open yourself to more methods, more techniques, you will be broadening your scope as well as repertoire. I do not like limitations and I am very happy to hear from someone who has accomplished more than one technique. I have not played much of salzedo’s repertoire yet as I am new, but I do appreciate your opinion of his compositions. Even if I should dissagree with you in the future I still appreciate composition opinions. Of what I have heard: his arrangements change to much for my liking and sound “asian inspired” maybe its just me but his music would be terrific for the movies, its dramatic, expressive, strange, to me. My opinion though.

barbara-brundage
    Participant

>Grandjany (correct me if this should be called “French”)

Yes, Mr. Grandjany never invented a method, only played and taught the traditional French method.

laura-ann-barber
    Participant

Thank you Barbara. I am curious about the German way, the Russian way and the Chinese way if any one specialized in them. I guess I will keep looking. Thanks everyone for your input. It is very appreciated and Happy Harping!

barbara-brundage
    Participant

I think most pedal harpists in mainland China play the Salzedo method, thanks to all the work Grace Wong did over there back in the early days of detente with the west. Of course they have their own harp traditions as well.

carl-swanson
    Participant

All of the above posts are great. One comment that was made several times and needs to be emphasized is the fact that all techniques have more commonality then differences. After all, they all have to work with the same hand design. I would add that at the advanced level, and here I emphasise Salzedo harpists are virtually indistinguishable from French harpists. Just go to Youtube and watch the Salzedo harpists like Yolanda Kondonasis, Alice Giles and others. When they play, the elbows are lower, the palms are more horizontal, the thumbs are lower, and there is no raising. Some of them are even resting their right arm on the soundboard.

carl-swanson
    Participant

All of the above posts are great. One point that I would emphasize is that, with all harp techniques, there is more commonality than difference. This is even more true at the advanced level. After all, all techniques have to work with the same hand design.

Salzedo trained players, at the advanced level, are almost indistinguishable from French players. Just go to youtube and watch harpists like Yolanda Kondonasis, Alice Giles, and other Salzedo harpists play. Their elbows are lower, the wrists are straight, the thumbs are lower, the palms are more horizontal, and there is no raising. Some even rest their right arms on the soundboard! The most important thing you can do is find a teacher who you like, who knows how to teach and communicate with you, and who will advance your playing ability, regardless of the method he or she teaches.

laura-ann-barber
    Participant

Yes Carl! I have youtubed the past few years at length and Yes I agree the soundboard is a rest. I have found that talking with individuals that some arrangements make you do this as an excuse for resting on the soudboard and they know that it should not be a habit so I often wondered about and it kinda looked odd but it is explainable. Thank you Carl and I believe I read all of your postings in forums. Thank you so very much and I just hope to be an advanced harpist with very good technique and never enter in one of those competitions. I think it would ruin me.(personal opinion) Much like an artist going to an Art Institute and being damaged by rejection: I would rather play because I loved it and not for fame or prestige, approval. I am not wired internally to motivate success in a goal that way. Which competitions are wonderful wonderful tools to make the best and I certainly have enjoyed watching the competitions and reading about them at length here, but on just a personal note. I would never be good enough to even try for one of those. If I was younger yes. I HAVE found a terrific teacher and she is a wonderful teacher for me. I have advanced in just one month 4 lessons with her than all the others. It takes time to committ and I have that even more these days. I am so grateful for the online help, enthusiasm, and thank the Lord Skype!

constance-koo
    Participant

salzedo is better

Loonatik

I remember someone (from NewZealand?) did some kind of research of harp techniques, maybe you can search the old thread to find it.

I started off with salzedo, but now following the french technique.

Had to relearn a few things though… Elbows up/down and raising/release aside, some things can still be quite different, e.g. the mechanics and the form of the hands adopted for harmonics can be quite different.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Topics