harpcolumn

Which low end harp is more tolerable?

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Harps and Accessories Which low end harp is more tolerable?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    lisa-matthews
    Participant

Hi, I’m searching for a portable harp that isn’t completely horrible. The instrument is to be portable and have fairly light tension. Of the lower end harps can anyone tell me how the EMS 29 String gothic (http://www.dulcimershofar.com/product.php?productid=816&cat=0&page=1) compares against the Harpsicles? Currently I’m playing on a Stoney End Eve 22 which is portable and to my ear at least has a bit of a tinny sound. It’s a nice little harp but I need just a few more strings for a majority of the music in my collection. Any low end harp I get will most likely be played on by children, carried thru the woods to sit by the stream, and handled at festivals by the general public who are curious about harps. Thanks!

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hello. 🙂

I don’t know anything about the EMS 29 String gothic, but I have the Fullsicle model of the Harpsicle (with a complete set of levers). I can’t help you in comparing the two, but I can tell you a little bit more about the Harpsicle, perhaps. The biggest complaint I have about my Harpsicle is that the lowest C is very difficult to play with the right hand, and a little bit annoying for the left hand as well; the column gets in the way. The string tension is also very, very light – after playing my L&H Style 30, the Harpsicle strings feel like floss, ha ha. It’s a great little harp, though. During my second year of college, when I first started playing, I did some busking with a friend, and I played for my roommates in the forest while they studied for midterms once. They all liked the sound of it. It isn’t very loud, though. But it’s very portable, and with the straps and the stick they make for holding it in your lap, it can be used in a lot of different situations.

My busking friend had a wire strung lap harp – the sound carried much better and was more pleasant. Maybe that’s something to look into?

Tacye
    Participant

The EMS is made of rosewood in Pakistan (once the old forums are transfered across you will be able to read plenty of opinions on these) and only resembles a gothic in general outline – not at all in playing. Have you considered something slightly larger, but still light such as a Smartwood harp or Ravenna?

lisa-matthews
    Participant

Hi Ben:> I just had my first expousure to a wire strung harp this past weekend and really loved it. Thank you for your run down on the Harpsicle!

lisa-matthews
    Participant

I’m really looking forward to the forum transfer. I believe I found this site the day before the old forums disappeared so I only got a brief glance at whats in it. I did try a Ravenna this weekend but found the string tension to be a bit more then I can currently handle. I’m coming back after most of an 18 year hiatus. Stopped playing in my teens due to RSI issues. I’m hoping though that if I can work up to playing in larger chunks or more times a day I’ll slowly build up the endurance and strength for a harp with that level of tension. I haven’t seen the Smartwood but will go look it up. Thanks!

Hi all! I believe forum transfer is at the top of @[[hugh-brock:User:Hugh Brock]]’s to-do list! I hesitate to give an actual date, but I know he’s working on it as I type this!

sherry-lenox
    Participant

Instead of a “low end” harp, start watching for a gently used “high end” harp! There are often really lovely used instruments available from some of the bigger companies and they are reconditioned and restrung before sale. It’s also possible to find good buys from private sellers. If you can get to a showroom, play some of the harps there, both new and used. You’ll have a better idea after doing so about which harps might work best for you.

lisa-matthews
    Participant

That’s a great idea:>. Am I right in thinking that a used harp will be a bit fuller in its sound? Is it correct to think that harps have a “breaking in” period where their sound gets richer with use?

sherry-lenox
    Participant

Read Kay’s recent post about comparing used and new, and you will find some interesting pro’s and con’s. I have a fabulous elderly 85P that I bought for an amazing price on the Lyon and Healy website. I also have an older Rees lever harp that has an incredible, wonderful sound. Overall, i just prefer to carefully buy used. That said, a new harp can be wonderful too! You are also likely to find that there are many many more harps of all sizes available now than 18 years ago, so more new AND used to choose from. Have fun!

Tacye
    Participant

To get a sound I would describe as richer/warmer I would choose a harp with gut strings (more expensive) and often higher tension (which you don’t want). Are you thinking of having two harps? You might find keeping the Eve for portability and choosing a larger harp by sound would suit you well.

lisa-matthews
    Participant

That’s definitely a possibility for me. I just purchased a Learn the Harp Vol 1 book for my child and he’s jumped right in. I can make a good case for getting a bigger harp for myself. The issue then would just be saving up longer and finding a larger harp with string tension that I can handle. I spent about 5 years wearing braces due to RSI injuries so I don’t want to repeat that. Setting the harp aside and my dreams of becoming a music therapist was one of the hardest things I faced when I was younger (perhaps I was sheltered). I want to get back in for the long haul and work with my limitations. If I can find a way to do that I can sneak in bits and bites of playing for others (who have patience and tolerance of my playing:> You know, the partially deaf:>).

What about a Paraguayan harp? It’s not as rich and warm but it does have a fun sound, can be beat around, and is fairly light tension.

lisa-matthews
    Participant

Jennifer, I’m very curious about those. I keep hoping to see one in person and even try one. I’ve found some delightful videos of amazingly skilled players with those harps on youtube!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Replies