harpcolumn

Which do you prefer?

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Coffee Break Which do you prefer?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Tacye
    Participant

Fsharps may help the 2nd lot of arpeggios.

joseph-pagani
    Participant

Yes that’s the one! I use the Sarah Bullen “Principal Harp” edition and they use the 1234321. It makes sense but It’ just getting my hand used to the turn (I really want to repeat that bottom note!) I used the “Add-A-Note” to get used to going up, so I was wondering if there was some kind of technique to help get the turn. Thank You So Much 😀

unknown-user
    Participant

I’m thinking of investing in a new harp cart.

I’ve narrowed the choices down to the standard L&H, as well as the six wheeled model, whose manufacturer I can’t remember right now. They’re approximately the same price, so that’s not really the issue. I’ve used both, but I can’t definitively remember what I thought of them at the time. I seem to remember, however, that the L&H model held the harp on the cart a bit better and was very sturdy, while the six wheeled navigated tricky surfaces and pathways better and climbed stairs better. Does that sound right? What are your preferences?

~Sam

kay-lister

Hi Sam,

I have the 6 wheel K2 harp cart.

Misty Harrison
    Participant

being used to the mckay dolly (don’t know if that’s the right spelling) i found the 6-wheeled one hard to maneuver because the wheels were so small but i was intrigued with the idea of being able to go up stairs better so i wish i’d seen someone move a harp with it that was used to it

might be lame but i’d like to see a clip of that on youtube so i can see how it’s supposed to work

Tacye
    Participant

Sorry, no tricks, just technical practice.

diana-day
    Participant

I have the K2 with the extended bottom, and it works well even on paving stones and brick steps.

unknown-user
    Participant

That’s a great idea about the videos! Nothing’s better than personally trying one, however.

How long is the extended bottom (roughly)? I have a cart right now (which is neither of the two I’m interesting in) and it has an extended base, which is just awful. The small lip that supports only the back feet is infinitely more steady, at least in my experience.

~Sam

unknown-user
    Participant

To add on to what Tacye just said, you could put in the tiniest lift after the second to bottom note, and the lowest note. Eventually, that should disappear, but its a good practice technique to get you started. You might also consider practicing with rhythms. That is, instead of playing the arpeggio as equal sixteenths, play them as dotted sixteenth notes and then a thirty second. Basically, play two successive notes, then pause, then play the next two and repeat. Play those notes fast, and pause only as long as you need to get a grip on the next strings. Alternate the group of notes that is played fast. Does that make sense?

~Sam

Sidney Dharmavaram
    Participant

I have a 6-wheel cart that I think is way better than the K2 cart.

diana-day
    Participant

Sam, it’s eighteen inches from side to side and about seven and three quarter inches from back to front. What Sidney said about the tipping thing is true, but I guess you can avoid

john-strand
    Participant
    Hi – I know you said you have narrowed it down, but thought I might add this –
    Misty Harrison
    Participant

some harpists like those carts but they can be heavy if you’re not a huge guy what i mean is soem people who aren’t small find them to be lightweight but smaller or not as strong people tend to find them unbearably heavy especially to lift in to a car when loading the harp and cart etc. for gigs

and the tires go flat at times or come off the cart

when the tires are working well they certainly are the best thing for going upstairs that’s for sure but it’s a big pain when one of the tires pops off while you’re moving the harp or goes flat

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Replies