harpcolumn

Which arp cart to tackle stairs?

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Harps and Accessories Which arp cart to tackle stairs?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    renate-kvalsvik
    Participant

Hi
    My husband and I are in the process of looking for a new apartment to buy. We’re considering one which is as close to our dream home as possible, however to get to the entrance you have to go up a flight of stairs. This doesn’t seem harp friendly in the least. I plan on being a professional harpist one day, and hauling a concert pedal harp up and down those stairs seem both dangerous and exhausting.
    What I want to know, is if there is a harp cart that is perfect for longer flights of stairs? Or is this not advisable at all?

Renate, stairs will be a problem no matter which cart you choose.You are rolling (even with a 3-wheeled cart) the whole weight of the instrument up against gravity, and not on a smooth ramp, either. Many fathers have back problems from doing this job for their daughters. If there is any possible way to use your harp at street level, it would be a real advantage. Harp cart makers should use aluminum instead of steel, in my opinion. Full-size concert harps could be lighter as well, so consider weight before you invest.

renate-kvalsvik
    Participant

Thanks for answering. There is an apartment at ground level in the same building, but it is a bit smaller, so that’s why we’ve been favouring the top one. Or, mainly it’s my husband who wants the top apartment, while I want the bottom one because of the harp and also the possibility of a walk-in closet. Hm, what to do…
    I have actually been considering a lightweight concert harp, such as the Aoyama Princess Sakura, which weighs only 28.8kg (63,5 lbs). If the bottom apartment gets sold before we can get a loan (we are in the process of negotiating with the bank) and we have to buy the top one, would this be a good choice? Or shoud we avoid the top apartment altogether?

(PS, in the title of this topic I meant of course harp cart, not arp cart…)

Anita Jaynes
    Participant

Maybe this comment is too late since the original was posted in July.

Philippa mcauliffe
    Participant

I live in Adelaide and have a one storey return verandah old villa.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Topics