harpcolumn

Where do you prefer to buy strings?

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Harps and Accessories Where do you prefer to buy strings?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

I loved buying from Sylvia Woods. I found them to be the cheapest from her and they were always shipped and at my house within a couple of days. I’m sad that she isn’t selling the strings I need anymore so I just bought a 4th D from Vanderbilt. I noticed they’re cheaper shipping than Harp.com (I couldn’t believe there is a minimum $10 shipping through them). It might be different if you’re buying multiple strings or octave sets but it looks like Vanderbilt is a lot cheaper when you’re just buying single strings (which is all I’ve done so far). Do you recommend anywhere else? I know there can’t be TOO many places to buy harp strings online but those are the only two I know of (besides Sylvia, before she moved). Also, does anyone know how pricing compares to buying strings at L&H vs online? Are they pretty expensive there or about the same as on the internet (of course you wouldn’t have shipping if you go into their showroom and get them).

kay-lister

Hi Tracey,

I buy from Vanderbilt as well, but I got an e-mail from VA Harp Center just the other day saying that they are going to be having a sale on Bow Brand strings. Don’t know the prices yet, but I’m anxious to check it out when they are listed.

Kay

Donna O
    Participant

Tracey, I always buy my strings from Vanderbilt. They have the best prices on individual strings as well as octave sets. Watch for their sale just before the holidays. I always try to save my large orders for then.­

kreig-kitts

Vanderbilt always emails me when I accidentally order colorless F or C wires, so they have my loyalty.

i don’t know what kind of harp you have but I have previously ordered from Vermont Strings http://www.robinsonsharpshop.com/aboutus.html. and was very pleased.

Sherj DeSantis
    Participant

The Atlanta Harp Center is having a 20% off sale on Bow Brand strings for the month of September. Here is the link http://stores.atlantaharpcenter.com/StoreFront.bok
    Donna, I have also waited on the Vanderbilt string sale, but I spoke to them this past summer and was told they didn’t always have the sale. Their gift certificates never had an expiration date on them in the past, but they do now, so I can no longer collect gift certificates during the year, and spend them on strings. My husband always bought them for me during the year for special occasions.

barbara-christensen
    Participant

Where is best place to buy your carbon fiber strings – Alliance? I’ve ordered from International Harp. Last time they were waiting for shipment from France.

Hey everyone, thanks for replying! I totally forgot about Atlanta Harp Centers sale. I went to their site and unfortunately, it only applies to octave and skeletal sets, rather than individual strings BUT….I did find that their pricing is the same as Vanderbilt but their shipping is cheaper 😀

Kind of bummed I could’ve saved 3 bucks had I posted this BEFORE ordering my replacement string lol but I figure its not worth the hassle of canceling the order to get a refund and then placing a new order through Atlanta but…I’ll know for next time 😀

Thanks!

tony-morosco
    Participant

I, too, used to buy most of my strings from Sylvia Woods and am sad she will no longer be selling them, but it is understandable. Since she is now located in Hawaii the shipping to her from the manufacturer, and from her to those of us on the mainland, would probably increase the price significantly to the point where it isn’t sensible.

In the past I have occasionally gotten strings from Vanderbilt, Virginia Harp Center and Harps Etc… in Walnut Creek CA. All were good. I think for the most part I will end up going with Vanderbilt unless one of the others is having a good sale at the time I need new strings.

And Barbara, Harps Unlimited International is the only place I have ever gotten carbon fiber strings. If anyone know another good source I would be interested to know as well. HUI is great, but it’s good to have multiple options.

jimmy-h
    Participant

Are Bow brand the only gut strings available? I haven’t noticed any other brands, does that mean they are the only manufacturers? Are there any books on how the strings are made?

Carlin
    Participant

I used to buy from Sylvia Woods and Vanderbilt, but now Vanderbilt won’t use USPS for international orders anymore…so shipping will now cost me around $20 or more, which i can’t afford.

lyn-boundy
    Participant

Barbara Where is best place to buy your carbon fiber strings – Alliance?

Are you in the US? If so, I’m interested to hear that your cf strings are sourced from France as that seems to be the only place we can get them in the UK too. I haven’t had to replace a string yet (and have a set of spares anyway) but the strings for my new(ish) harp came from Savarez in France and I’m sorry to say they were the only hitch in the process and didn’t arrive until about 3 weeks after they were ordered so, even if your local supplier is quick off the mark, if he/she orders from France on demand then I’m afraid it looks as if you may have quite a wait on your hands. I’d say that until these strings become much more commonly used to the point where it benefits suppliers to keep a good stock, it is imperative to have your own spares – at least of the higher (more likely to break) strings and especially if you depend on your harp for your living.

Sherj DeSantis
    Participant

Lyra Music in Florida I believe, sells carbon fiber strings by Savarez, and as far as I know, has for a long time. (I admit I don’t use them, so if they are different from what you need, I apologize in advance.) Look here……. http://www.lyramusic.com/

barbara-christensen
    Participant

Thanks for link to Lyra/International Music service. On their site: We are only distributor of the Savarez Alliance KF harp strings in the United States. However, I have had some luck at Virginia Harp Center which happened to have the strings I needed at the time. (I live in the US.) The CF strings are generous in length and can get 2-3 strings from them. The only strings I have broken (6 years and daily use) have been the Cs and Fs above middle C. The color wears off and I use Dyken layout dye – and then that rubs off 🙁

vicki-krumtum
    Participant

Sylvia referred me to Kolacny Music in Denver. http://www.kolacnymusic.com. 800-870-3167. They have Bow Brand gut and nylon, Burgundy gut, Vanderbilt wires and Dusty Strings nylons which work on lots of harps. I have had really good luck getting single strings and their shipping is really reasonable.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Topics