harpcolumn

What’s your favorite piece to perform?

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Professional Harpists What’s your favorite piece to perform?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

I’m compiling a list of fantastic solo harp works for pedal and lever harp that are fun and exciting to perform.

sherry-lenox
    Participant

Although they’re still a little bit in my future, I can’t wait to learn some of Laura Zaerr’s pieces for lever harp.

They have folkish feel combined with beautifully polished music.

When my teacher told me I’d one day be able to work on them I didn’t believe her, so it’s really a rush to be getting closer and closer to playing them.

Miriam Shilling
    Participant

I don’t know if this counts, because it is a duet, but I love performing

elinor-niemisto
    Participant

I just played in a harp ensemble concert in which we used several of your duet arrangements.

Thanks Elinor! I’m glad you enjoyed playing them.

Carlos Salzedo’s Scintillation would head the list, followed by his Variations. Other highlights have been his transcriptions of Mendelssohn and Debussy, the Faure Impromptu, the first Prelude by Alojz Srebotnjak, the Hindemith Sonata. That doesn’t mean they are necessarily the best pieces. The hardest to perform have been the Pescetti Sonata and the C.P.E. Bach Sonata (Lawrence edition). I have performed a lot of solo literature, and the way that Salzedo has of making the harp so sonorous is of great advantage to the performer. I have some unusual repertoire, but I’m not revealing my secrets.

Nadia Tjahja
    Participant

A little more jazzy is the ‘Around the Clock Suite’ by Pearl Chertok.
    Classical piece with jazzy slides and a story to tell. It’s different and fun to play because of the different techniques that are used.

Also really enjoying playing the Sonata by JB Cardon
    (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rp2ab8jSyMw)

Respighi’s Notturno. I never get tired of it- haunting, romantic, beautiful.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The forum ‘Professional Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.