column

Was old Irish/Scottish/Welsh harp music monophonic or polyphonic?

Home Forums Coffee Break Was old Irish/Scottish/Welsh harp music monophonic or polyphonic?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    clh-h
    Participant

Did the famous Celtic harpers of old play monophonic (just a melody, one note at a time) or polyphonic (a melody and a harmony/accompaniment, more than one note at a time)?

Does anyone know? I’ve been wondering. When people play folk music on the harp today they seem to mostly do it polyphonic. I wondered whether that’s how it always was.

tony-morosco

How old are you asking about? I don’t think anyone knows how they played in Druid times, but if you want to know about O’Carolan and his contemporaries, or the few centuries prior, then they clearly played polyphonic.

I would be very, very surprised if that hasn’t always been the case. After all, isn’t that the whole reason for having a harp over, say, a lyre? If you aren’t playing polyphonic music you just don’t need all those strings.

clh-h
    Participant

O’Carolan would have been post Renaissance. I didn’t think about that. I had more in mind pre-Renaissance, before polyphony got common. But I guess that’s too early to know or whatever.

katerina
    Participant

O’Carolan (1670 – 25 March 1738) is pretty late baroque. His music is quite well influenced by Italian style.

katerina
    Participant

Irish tradition still has improvised bass. In that sense we can call it polyphonic.

There are too many strings on survived historical harps to be only a monophonic instrument. To be honest, on average clairseachs had the same or bigger number of strings than average European harps at a time, and the same or lower ranges.

I don’t think that the conception of using the instrument was a lot different from the rest of Europe or from how it is now.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.