harpcolumn

"Vaga Luna" — my very first video!

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Performing "Vaga Luna" — my very first video!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

I’m happy with it, even though there is a bobble in the coda, and I can see a couple things I’ll need to do differently. The harp is a bit low for me, and I’ve already ordered the 8″ legs from Dusty Strings, so that should help.

Vaga Luna, arr. by me

My apologies for the crummy scrap-yarn sweater. 🙂

It’s not bad for not even having had the thing for a month yet! At some point I’d love to skype with my cousin who is studying harp, but she’s taking formal lessons with a big-name harp teacher back east, so she’ll blow my doors off.

The piano experience helps, but only because I can concentrate entirely on technique and don’t have to worry about learning how to read music or learning any theory. Nevertheless, the means by which sound is obtained from the harp is really nitpicky compared to a piano, and hard to keep track of. The biggest help for me has been compulsive (re-)watching of Josh Layne’s Harp Tuesday videos.

Anyhow, I hope you like it. 🙂

Gretchen Cover
    Participant

Janis, thanks for sharing your video. You may want to watch the youtube clips produced by HC member Hannah Deladurantey. She has some excellent tutorials and also gives harp lessons via Skype.

My one suggestion to you is to keep your second and third fingers on your right hand from collapsing. You will get a more even sound if you can keep your fingers curved. You are really making good progress. Keep it up.

PS/ I like the sweater.

Cool, thanks — I’ll look at Hannah’s videos.

And I’ll work on the 2nd/3rd fingers. I’m trying to stay relaxed-relaxed-relaxed right now, and am probably overdoing it. 🙂

Sherj DeSantis
    Participant

Beautifully done Janis! I’m sorry you disabled comments as I have nothing but great things to say. Congratulations on both your playing and the arrangement. Sherj

Thanks! 🙂 I’d like to have enabled comments if I could moderate them, but Vimeo only allows full-on unmoderated comments, no comments, or comments from “people I know,” whatever that means.

I’ve got it up on my latest blog post at italianfolkharp.wordpress.com if you’d like to comment there, and I’d definitely like to hear what you have to say and any advice. I’m having such a good time on it!

Update: Just went back and re-watched it. I’ve got the curly-pinky thing going on in the right hand pretty bad. 😛

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.