harpcolumn

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    E Moody

Does anyone know of a transcription of Tzigane for solo harp and violin, and if so, who arranged it? Thanks!

eliza-morrison
    Participant

I’ve played it with orchestra…do you mean without orchestra?

I have the Durand (France) publication of Tzigane, for violin and piano. On the first page is printed: violon et piano (ou Lutheal). There is the word luth in my 1946-page Oxford-Hachette French-English dictionary, published in 1994, translated as “Lute” but Lutheal is not there. It would seem that the piano part may be played by harp with some adaptation of the fingering and voicing, using this edition. The piano part is 17 pages long.

barbara-brundage
    Participant

Hi, Patricia. The lutheal was a special kind of prepared piano. There’s one at the Conservatory in Brussels, but that’s one of the very few left.

barbara-brundage
    Participant

Oh, found a wikipedia article about it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luthéal

Thank you so much, Barbara!

Alison
    Participant

I heard that on the radio recently and the piano reduction replaced the orchestra, including harp excerpts, so I can’t see how a harpist could play all that, too thick a texture and far too much to play, I’d say…

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The forum ‘Professional Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.