Tuning 7th Octave C, D, E

Posted In: Amateur Harpists

• Participant
    unknown-user on #163959

Is there a tuner that tunes the lowest bass notes 7th octave C, D & E?

Participant
    Briggsie B. Peawiggle on #163960

My tuner won’t hear them either. I just listen for beats. You can hear the oscillations when two strings are out of tune. Listen for them. When they stop beating, it’s a perfect silence of beats.

tony-morosco on #163961

A Peterson virtual strobe tuner with a tuning clip can do it.

Participant
    unknown-user on #163962

Try this: tune your wire strings with pedals set to natural starting with the G and tuning down – when you get to the 7th E, play the harmonic and then match it to the octave above – same for the D and C -(that’s why you have set the pedals in natural so you can

Participant
    barbara-low on #163963

It’s better not to tune with the disks engaged while tuning your wires since you are cutting into the pins – the strings are really abrasive and the pins are gripping them pretty strongly. What you can do is tune in flats and when you get to 7th oct. D & C , set your pedals to natural.

It is hard to hear the lower strings. I use the octave above as a reference and then tune the lower string starting out flat, bringing it up to the pitch. If I’ve gone sharp, I bring the string flat again and start over.

If that isn’t working for me, I play a 3 note descending sequence like G, F, E (in flat) and try to match it an octave lower. Sometimes hearing the note in context with others helps.

My Peterson virtual strobe will pick up the lowest strings when I use the suction cup pick up that came with mine. Since it doesn’t stick to the harp very long before falling off, I found I could get good contact by placing the pick up between the floor and the base of the harp in the area between the 2 back feet. My rug works well in holding it in place. I don’t often tilt the harp back to get to the lowest strings, so don’t know how that would effect the contact point.

Participant
    Saul Davis Zlatkovski on #163964

Korg tuners have little trouble with those notes.

Participant
    unknown-user on #163965

I have a Korg OT 12 that gets those notes. But I also have a pick up mic that I stick on, if in a large hall it will not pick up the upper or lower for some reason.

It’s a common problem, and there are so many overtones on those bottom notes they are always hard to hear. some harps are cleaner down there than others, but they are all difficult.

To tune those notes by ear.

Participant
    unknown-user on #163966

Where can I buy a Peterson Strobe tuner that you suggested? Thanks to everyone for their help.

Participant
    catherine-rogers on #163967

You can buy a Peterson virtual strobe tuner at http://www.wwbw.com. That’s the website for Woodwind/Brasswind. They’ll have the best prices. That’s where I bought mine several years ago. I don’t know if they sell Peterson electric strobes. Sylvia Woods Harp Center used to.

tony-morosco on #163968

Almost any good music supply store should carry them, but you can definitely get one through Sylvia Woods Harp Center.

lynn lusty on #163969

You can also try setting your tuner at the bottom of the sound board for the lower strings. It picks up better.

Participant
    barbara-low on #163970

You can also pluck closer to the soundboard to get the string to “speak” differently so that your tuner will pick it up.

Participant
    barbara-low on #163971

I understand that the new Peterson stobes with a flip cover are really good and an improvement over previous models. If your local music store has one and you can get it demonstrated, all the better. (The’s a small learning curve with these.)

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • The forum ‘Amateur Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.