harpcolumn

Travelling with my lapharp

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Amateur Harpists Travelling with my lapharp

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Loan Miege
    Participant

Hello everybody,

I would like to take the train with my lap harp (a Nightingale made by Lewis Creek). Should I lose the tension of the strings ? Do you have some advices about travelling with a harp ?

Thanks a lot for your kind help !

hannah-roberts
    Participant

I wouldn’t worry about doing that unless you’re checking the harp as baggage and/or travelling quite a great distance. That’s usually done when people have to ship harps, or when the climate is going to change or differ drastically between origin and destination
    I have travelled by train with my Christina, which is around the same size, between Quebec City and Montreal. I didn’t check it and would definitely advise you not check yours unless it is unavoidable. It’s always better that you handle your own harp. Trains are usually good on room. I take mine on subways and buses, too.
    Just be mindful and cautious of yourself and others. Sometimes folks are lost in their thoughts and swinging bags around. The side with the levers is more delicate than the side with the pins, so keep the lever side towards you.
    And, if you like, either have a few pieces ready or some sheet music to play – small harps in particular really delight people, and someone is bound to ask you to play! You may enjoy benefits such as tips, drinks, snacks, memorabilia or a free ride in the vibrating massage chair :-)

Audrey Nickel
    Participant

I can second the “be ready to play” part.

hannah-roberts
    Participant

LOL Audrey! I have had two people asked me “Is that a REAL harp?” Gives me mixed feelings, too!

Audrey Nickel
    Participant

The one that really got me was when I played a tune on both my Harpsicle (Ash Grove) and another on my wire-strung Dreamsinger (Maol Dònaidh) for my aunt.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘Amateur Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.