top-notch orchestral harpists

• Participant
    Jerusha Amado on #151302

Hi everyone!

Who are some of the most exemplary harpists of the orchestral world, in your opinion?

Jerusha

Participant
    william-weber on #151303

Ann Hobson-Pilot, to begin with. I heard her play Debussy’s “Dances Sacred and Profane”, and IIRC, that harp part was originally written for a Pleyel. That’s a lot of accidentals in not a lot of time!

Participant
    Elizabeth Volpé Bligh on #151304

Beatrice Schroeder Rose is my hero for writing that great book The Harp in the Orchestra!

Participant
    Saul Davis Zlatkovski on #151305

Margarita Montanaro. I am more familiar with the players of the past: Zighera, Costello, Druzinsky, Chalifoux, Mainzer, and others. I haven’t heard many of the orchestras since the positions turned over. Margarita has a remarkable sense of tone color and ability to be in sync with the orchestra. She plays extremely musically, very artistically, and many concertgoers have remarked on that to me.

Participant
    Jerusha Amado on #151306

Thanks to all for replying!

Participant
    william-weber on #151307

Judy Rose banged out crystal-clear harmonics in Concord Symphony’s performance of Holst’s “Uranus, the Magician” this past weekend. I am told she teaches at Longy School.

Participant
    WJMinDC@comcast.net on #151308

William, I’m quite certain the name of the harpist you mention is Judy Ross.

Participant
    william-weber on #151309

My typing mistake – Judy Ross it was.

tony-morosco on #151310

Doug Rioth of the San Francisco Symphony. I have hard him play with the SF symphony for years. He is a great soloist and a great orchestral player. My only complaint is that the symphony doesn’t do nearly enough harp concertos to show off his talent, but of course I am biased on that account.

Participant
    Harp One on #151311

Absolutely, The Great Sarah Bullen!!!!!
    10 years with New York Philharmonic and now with Chicago Symphony.

I don`t know about 1960s or 1970s when the competition was not —-.

Participant
    barbara-brundage on #151312

>I don`t know about 1960s or 1970s when the competition was not —-.

So you think that Druzinsky, Chalifoux, Costello, Zighera, Rosen, Loman, Ellis, Watkins, et al were a bunch of slouches? Interesting perspective.

There have always been more extraordinary harpists than orchestral jobs. I have to say I’m puzzled by this entire thread: you don’t get a major symphony job if you aren’t “extraordinary”, never did.

Participant
    Jerusha Amado on #151313

I know a harpist (whom I won’t name) of a major symphony who isn’t extraordinary, and even she would admit that she isn’t.

Participant
    barbara-brundage on #151314

Well, I think it’s partly a question of ‘extraordinary at what’, too, Jerusha. Anyone who can deal with the incredible demands of that kind of schedule and keep the gig *is* extraordinary in at least some ways. 🙂

Participant
    Jerusha Amado on #151315

<>

Yes, absolutely!

Participant
    Harp One on #151316

As a harpist myself, I do know there are lots of great harpists who play in the orchestra or not. That is my basic thinking.

It happens anywhere.. Someone works really hard and someone is just lucky.
    But I could say luck is also “extraordinary at something”

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • The forum ‘Professional Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.