harpcolumn

To detune a locked up harp or keep it tuned up for 1 year

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Harps and Accessories To detune a locked up harp or keep it tuned up for 1 year

Tagged: 

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Gerrard Els
    Participant

Hi everyone,

I need advice on leaving my two harps (Lyon and Healy 85 and a Salvi lever harp) locked up in a room for 1 year long depending on how quickly Covid blows over. The harps are both tuned up and won’t be played for this duration.

Should I de-tune the harps by a few semitones and keep its cover on or what is best advice? I heard its damaging to de-tune them completely, and also on the other side, if a string breaks on full tension when no-one can replace it?

Thanks in advance

Gerrard

Biagio
    Participant

Taking the tension down a step or two might be a good idea but whether or not, the gut strings may deteriorate.

Gerrard Els
    Participant

Alright thanks for the advice. I detuned the harp 3 semitones over a period of a few days and covered the harp with its cover, pedals up in an enclosed room.

Lucile Lawrence said that when you are going to leave a harp unplayed for a length of time, you should lower the tuning to save pressure on the sounding-board, thus extending its life. The challenge is in bringing it back up again. I would assume that the string life would also be extended.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Replies