harpcolumn

Thoughts on Fluorocarbon Strings?

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Harps and Accessories Thoughts on Fluorocarbon Strings?

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    lyn-boundy
    Participant

My new harp has Savarez strings and I love the sound they produce. Having said that – other than the occasional go on my tutor’s harps – I have never played with gut strings so I’m not really in a position to make a comparison. Compared to the nylon strings I’ve been used to, the Savarez ones have a very mellow voice (if nylon strings were Katherine Jenkins, fc ones would be Karen Carpenter). I’ve also had no problems with them hurting my fingers, they are easy and comfortable to play and hold their tuning well. As a veggie, I never felt that gut strings were a real choice for me so I was delighted to find the fcs and I’m very happy with them so far.

katie-buckley
    Participant

I’m extremely surprised by the Savarez strings. I have a DHC light, which I love, but it took me awhile to get used to the very light tension. You don’t need to pull hard at all. (which is really tough to do for an orchestral harpist..LOL!) I actually found with the DHC Light that if you want really big differences in dynamics, its better to use a volume pedal. I’ve had my DHC for two years and have yet to have a single string break yet, which is HUGE since I live in a very dry climate. My gut strings on my pedal harps, well, something breaks weekly, at least.

Wow I didn’t think the Savarez strings would have lighter considerably lighter tension than lever gut. The light tension will be something I will have to take into consideration while debating on the DHC Light and the Silhouette. Amazing that you haven’t broke a string for 2 years Katie! I am jealous!!!

Katie would you say the tension is as light as a nylon strung harp? I know that is hard to determine considering every maker has a slightly different tension but I am just trying to get an idea since I can’t get my hands on a DHC Light.

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Replies