harpcolumn

Thin cracks in the neck of my lever harp!

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Harps and Accessories Thin cracks in the neck of my lever harp!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    renate-kvalsvik
    Participant

I hope someone can advise me on what to do. I have owned a Morley Hempson 34 harp for four years now. During the last year or so I have kept it at a friend’s house for voice+harp practice. My friend recently moved house, and when I went to visit her after her move, and took the cover off my harp, I noticed that there had suddenly appeared a lot of horisontal, thin cracks along the neck of my harp. The cracks are on both sides of the neck, though there are fewer on the lever side. The cracks run across the tuning pins. There are also four cracks across the top of the neck (vertically).

What should I do? Is there anything I can do?

I brought the harp home with me in case the reason for the cracking is the climate inside my friend’s new apartment.

I don’t know if there is any warranty on my harp, and I am afraid to contact Morley Harps because when we were moving the harp back home after noticing the cracks, my husband managed to lose hold of the harp so that it fell down on the ground onto its back, and now it had a slight damage at the back where the neck and back are joined as well 🙁

Can anybody help me?

Tacye
    Participant

The Hempson has quite thick varnish and you say there are a lot of cracks, could it be that the cracks are just in the varnish and not in the wood?

renate-kvalsvik
    Participant

Thank you for answering. The cracks may just be in the varnish, as you say. My father was visiting me today, and he said he thought it was. How do I know for sure?

Yes, the shoulder is just dented. I think it’s purely cosmetic, at least I hope so.

Tacye
    Participant

Easiest is to ask anyone who knows wood well.

renate-kvalsvik
    Participant

Thanks, I’ll try to find someone who knows about such things and ask them to look at the harp. The varnish is so thick I can’t see the grain of the wood. The cracks don’t seem to widen, though.

Thank you, you’ve given me a bit of hope.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.