harpcolumn

“There is No Rose of Such Virtue”

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Professional Harpists “There is No Rose of Such Virtue”

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    tonie-ogimachi
    Participant

Does anyone know of an arrangement for “There Is No Rose of Such Virtue,” by Jean Joubert?

tonie-ogimachi
    Participant

I should clarify;

barbara-brundage
    Participant

I’m not sure what you’re asking, Tonie. The poem dates to the fifteenth century, so why Jean Joubert? Maybe you’d get more answers if you could explain a little more about what you want.

barbara-brundage
    Participant

Oh, wait. Do you mean you want a harp arrangement of John Joubert’s setting? I’m not aware of anything except the SATB version. I was thinking of the French poet Jean Joubert, sorry.

tonie-ogimachi
    Participant

Thanks Barbara,

barbara-brundage
    Participant

Gee, I really don’t know. Maybe someone else will, but that was actually much better known as a poem than a carol before Britten. I know it’s not in the older Oxford Book of Carols, but if your library has the New Oxford Book of Carols it might have made it into that.

But if they want to add an accmpt to the Joubert version I suppose the best thing would be to figure out the chords from the unaccompanied vocal version, unless someone else here knows of a published arrangement.

The melody Sting uses is the same as in Rutter’s “Dancing Day.” The harp accompaniment in that particular movment is just a few chords with some vocal cues, so you’d be better off with the vocal score. Still quite sparse, but at least something.

Off to another gig…
    Julie in Atlanta

Alison
    Participant

You might be interested in a new composition.

Alison
    Participant

The above composition has recently been published by Faber Music in A4 size, with the

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The forum ‘Professional Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.