harpcolumn

Therapy Harp

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Amateur Harpists Therapy Harp

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Karen Bruce
    Participant

I am looking to purchase a therapy harp and believe I have narrowed it down to three possibilities. A Westover (23 strings),

I haven’t played any of those but the Westover seems awfully big for a harp of that range.

Karen Bruce
    Participant

Thank you Jennifer! My current lap harp is over 9lbs (not fully levered)

According to the stats page on the Westover website, the Westover therapy harp weighs over 9 lbs.

Karen Bruce
    Participant

We weighed my instructors and it came in about 7.8lbs, so interesting that the stats on the westover would be hirer. Maybe a denser wood?

Michaela Braveman
    Participant

Hi Karen,

I have had my Lewis Creek Nightingale for almost 3 years now and I am loving it! It has a beautiful, warm tone (mine is made out of Cherry Wood), is light weight and has 27 strings, about the maximum you will find on a therapy harp. I highly recommend Truitt levers, since they don’t change the tone and are lighter than any of the others.

I was completely new to the harp when I got my Nightingale and played it exclusively during my first year of learning, before adding a full size harp to my collection. I am currently enrolled in IHTP, so my Nightingale will eventually be used for what it was intended for: therapy work.

Also, aesthetically speaking, I think it is one of the prettiest small harps around and Jeff Lewis, the luthier, is really wonderful to deal with.

I heard good things about the Westover Harp too, however, I too would be concerned about the limited 23 string range.

Hope this helps. Good luck with you purchase!

~Michaela

Karen Bruce
    Participant

Hi Michaela! How is the string spacing? Similar to your full size? And do you know the how much your Nightingale weights

Michaela Braveman
    Participant

Hi Karen,

If my scale is correct, my harp weighs in at slightly under 8 pounds (fully levered with Truitt levers). If the weight is that important to you, I suggest checking with Jeff Lewis…, I am sure he will be able to give you accurate information. Either way, the harp is very light and easy to handle.The Triplett knee-bones crossbar works great with it for playing while having the harp rest on your lap. Now that I am working on my harp therapy certification, I am playing it with the strap, which is a bit awkward at first, but after a while, you get the hang of it.

The spacing is identical to my full-size harp (Thormahlen Swan), just lighter string tension as a therapy harp should have. Also, I found that pretty much from the beginning, my harp required very little tuning and I have yet to replace a single string on it. And in the 3 years I’ve had it the tone has warmed up significantly and, given the small instrument, the resonance is amazing!

~Michaela

deb-l
    Participant

Michaela, why should a therapy harp have lighter tension?

If you’re doing “interactive” work (ie. having the patient participate with you) the tension should be light enough for a patient to strum it.

deb-l
    Participant

Jennifer, it makes sense that a warmer sound is more soothing, that’s what confused me, because unless I’m mistaken, most higher tension gut strung harps have a warmer sound than most lower tension nylon.

Karen Bruce
    Participant

Actually Christina wrote that in her book Cradle of Sound! Thanks so much for all of the feedback. I too am looking at enrolling in the her harp therapy program. My instructor has almost completed it (she has a degree in psychology, a bachelor of music and a bachelor in Music Therapy. If figure if she is impressed with it the program must be pretty good.) As I am working full time I want to start working on the pieces but probably not enroll for a year or so.

deb-l
    Participant

Karen, do you know if it’s just Christina’s personal preference or is it widely accepted by other harp therapy programs that a therapy harp should be a lower tension strung harp?

Karen Bruce
    Participant

Hi Deb! I am quoting from Christina’s Book Cradle of sound with regards to tension. Page 80 “The tension needs to be lighter than most harps. Tight-tensioned strings produce a tone too bright for the confort of many patients, especially when played at bedside. Patients on morphine drip are especially sensitive to the bright sounds of a harp with tight tension. Listen for

deb-l
    Participant

Karen, thanks, the description of bell-like does apply well to higher tension harps.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • The forum ‘Amateur Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Recent Replies