harpcolumn

Teaching Materials for scales, theory, etc.,

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Teaching the Harp Teaching Materials for scales, theory, etc.,

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

What are the best publications you know for teaching things like scales, chord progressions, the generally theoretic side of playing the harp? Someone asked me for scales in the cycle of fourths, and I don’t have time to write it out. And how about the modes? There are so many new publications out there, I don’t know where to begin. I like the Art of Modulating, but that is mostly just on modulations and reading chord progressions without pedal markings. Likewise, the Universal Method.

tony-morosco
    Participant

I think some of the best for beginners to theory are not necessarily specifically for harp.

Edly’s Music Theory for Practical People is an excellent introduction to music theory. Particularly for those who don’t play classical and maybe even totally play by ear because although he provides written examples of music he also explains things in a way that you don’t need to read music to understand.

The Complete Idiots Guide to Music Theory is another. It begins with reading music, but if someone already can read well they can skip and go right to the next sections. Goes over scales, the circle of fiths (and fourths), modes, chord structure etc… Despite the title it is an excellent introductory book.

For things specifically for

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.