harpcolumn

Tanglewood Music Camp (BUTI)

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Young Harpists Tanglewood Music Camp (BUTI)

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    unknown-user
    Participant

Hi everyone,

I was thinking of auditiong for Tanglewood (BUTI), a six week summer
    program for high-school-aged musicians. I know a little bit about
    it, like:

Anne Hobson Pilot teaches there (so its GOT to be good for
    harpists…)

It last six weeks and….

Not all harpists participate in the orchestra ;-(

so i would just like to know if theres any harpists here who has
    experience with participating in BUTI. Perhaps we could exchange
    emails about it, since it DOES cost a hefty $5000, I’d like to at
    least know what Im getting myself into.

thanks!

-Steven Travaglione

alexander-rider
    Participant

$5000?!? Is this a standard cost for something like this? :)I hope you do it Steven, it sounds wonderful.

unknown-user
    Participant

I don’t know what it’s like these days, but I spent eight weeks, not six, at Tanglewood in the Harp Seminar in 1980. It was the high point of my life. To be in a world of nothing but classical music for such a long time was awesome. I learned to practice as much as five hours a day, and I never learned music better. There were no distractions. It can be hot and very humid, and the mosquitoes are numerous. Take lots of Skin-So-Soft, everything is very expensive on campus.
    I believe that Paula Page does the lesson teaching. If you don’t play in orchestra, so what? Learn a concerto, or chamber music, or work on a recital program. There will probably be the chance to play with the other students. The cost was under $2,000 when I went. So that’s about right with inflation, I suppose. I hope you can go, but there are other festivals too. Professor Ellen Ritscher teaches at one in the Rocky Mountains. There’s also Chautauqua in New York and Luzerne.

cameron-huster
    Participant

I went 2 summers ago and LOVED it. You make great friends and when I was there, all the harpists had at least one chance to play in an orchestra, you just don’t play all the time. there’s alot of time to practice but I had a great time.
    ~Cameron

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘Young Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.