harpcolumn

taking it to the next level

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Teaching the Harp taking it to the next level

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    unknown-user
    Participant

I’m 15 and I’ve been playing the harp since I was 6 or 7. I can play

pretty well, but I haven’t been improving much at all for years. My

teacher isn’t that good and doesn’t challenge me. I’m her best

student but she tries to give me the same music as the 8 year olds.

We spend lessons going over pieces that I’ve known for five years or

more (and can play perfectly). I’ve talked with my parents about

taking my playing up to the next level before college, but there are

a couple problems. First of all, I don’t have time to practice. I

get home anywhere from 5 to 8 and then I have a lot of homework to

do (I go to a very good school with high expectations; the homework

takes a while). By the time I’m done, I’m ready to go to sleep. The

other problem is that to find a better teacher I would need to drive

a long way; the nearest city is about 1.5 hours away. I would like

to become very good and play advanced pieces, but I can’t give it

the time it deserves. What do you think? Should I try to take it up

even if I can’t practice much? Or should I stay about where I am?

Thanks a lot!

unknown-user
    Participant

I am really looking forward to the answers to this one.

unknown-user
    Participant

I have to hand it to you, young Smith.

unknown-user
    Participant

Dear Anon (is that your real name, or are you worried your teacher might stumble

across your message?????):

You’ve gotten some great advice already! The biggest thing I will echo is to talk to

your teacher. Maybe she would like to give you more difficult pieces, but feels you

can’t spend enough time practicing them. Have you had a conversation with her about

this yet? At age 15, it’s time for you to start interacting with your teacher on a more

adult level, and making sure you discuss your goals out in the open is the best way to

start. That way perhaps she will not view you as a kid and start giving you more

challenging pieces. If your teacher is not receptive to having a discussion about your

goals, or if her goals for you are not in line with your own, then you and your parents

might decide it’s time to move on. But I agree with Jane that you must discuss your

situation with your present teacher first. One other thing to add is that you need to be

honest with yourself about the answers you get from your teacher. For example, if she

says that she gives you simple pieces because you still need to work on your

technique, you need to really think about how you can do that effectively and show

your teacher you are willing to work hard. If you are being honest with yourself and

truly don’t agree with what she’s telling you, try to get another assessment of your

playing from another harpist you trust and respect.

Now, for a really blantant plug about my own summer program, the Young Artist’s

Harp Seminar. If you think you might want to try a summer camp, please consider

applying to this one. It is two weeks of intensive lessons, practicing, harp ensemble,

and classes. There are more details at http://www.harpseminar.com, or you can email me in

person.

Good luck, and keep us posted!

Kim Rowe

donna-benier

Anon, Get yourself a harp catalog that has detailed descriptions of the music (like Melody’s in Texas), choose something that sounds intriguing to you and is at an intermediate or advanced level (be sure it’s for lever or pedal, whichever you play), and order it.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Replies