harpcolumn

Sweetharp

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Coffee Break Sweetharp

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 123 total)
  • Author
    angel-zhao
    Participant

I didn’t see any “official” photos of someone using the lap brace. If you watch the promo video here…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2bZUOkRlKg

…around 2:40 you can see how the lap brace is mounted. Since the lap brace uses the same mounting holes as the legs, the height can be adjusted. (I think it’s 3 different heights each 1 inch apart.)

I can’t really make any recommendations, but I did choose the SweetHarp as my first harp. Although waiting in line for a custom made harp could be frustrating, it does fit my criteria of a portable, light-weight harp with good sound and the most number of strings in a small enough package, plus it can be turned into a floor harp. The reasonable price point means I can squeeze in more harp books and/or lessons.

Julie Jones
    Participant

Hi Barbara and Sweetharpers,
    I jumped for joy when Chris actually answered my email about when I’d get the harp I ordered last May and paid completely for beginning of February. He said he’d be in my neck of the woods on Sunday and could he deliver it then?

barbara-dixon
    Participant

I know Chris seems to have so many excuses I can not believe it.

Philippa mcauliffe
    Participant

I dont have a Sweetharp or an order for one but we do have a lever harp made by a one man band who does them at home.

Biagio Sancetta
    Participant

Guess it’s time to chime in again as another SweetHarp customer still waiting.

Chris Caswell
    Participant

Hi All,

This is Chris Caswell, the marginal businessman in question. A few updates – Julie’s harp is done and awaiting my driving it over to her place. Biagio’s will be getting lacquered in about a week to 10 days.

I have read and listened appreciatively to the criticism of my poor communication. I take it to heart and will work to put a system in place where all who order from me are kept in the loop more than just at large intervals.

Based on the last several batches, I now have a reasonably good production schedule. Everyone who has been waiting WAY long should have their harps by mid to late May. Anyone ordering recently has been given a more accurate delivery estimate based on actual production, rather than promises from suppliers.

I will say a couple of things regarding Amber’s harp. the color rubbing off came from a spot where I had to do a touch-up near the levers. That was then sealed with a touch-up lacquer which I’ve used for many years. However, the dye apparently migrated through the touch-up lacquer. It hadn’t done that when it left the shop. Needless to say I use a different touch-up lacquer now. and it is an easy fix for anyone to just wipe a little poly over the top of the offending area. Secondly, a single bridge pin needed an adjustment as the string wasn’t vibrating quite freely when the lever wasn’t engaged, creating a muffled sound. Again, for me this would have been a moment to fix, and it was definitely my bad that I didn’t catch it.

The tone, on the other hand, is a different matter. I was rather excited by the sound of her harp. In fact, I have retired the Butterfly 29s because the SweetHarps, at half the cost, are sounding so good (I think better in many ways). But tone is VERY subjective, and I don’t mean in any way to gainsay Amber’s impression of her harp.

If anyone has any questions, please feel free to contact me either here or via my website.

Best,

Chris

Amber M
    Participant

Actually, more like 4 bridge pins. And all hard to reach because they are hidden under the wood. Just sayin.

Chris Caswell
    Participant

Hi Amber,

After reading your posting again I realized it was more bridge pins than I initially knew about. There’s a simple method to get to the those pins (though redesign has fixed the issue in newer harps). I wish I hadn’t been so ill through that whole period.

I was thinking today that maybe I should buy your harp back. It makes me sad that you don’t like it, and I would benefit from seeing the issues you had to deal with so they don’t repeat themselves (though I think I have addressed most of them already).

Let me know if that’s something you might be interested in. I view this case as exceptional since it was early in production.

Cheers,

Chris

Biagio Sancetta
    Participant

No slight intended to Chris, it’s been a tough year for many.

Amber M
    Participant

Sent Chris an email asking about the ‘simple method’ to getting at the pins…no response. Guess all questions need to be asked in a public forum to get acknowledged?

For someone who just said he would strive to improve comms, not a very impressive start.

mary-albers
    Participant

It would seem that people who post receive their harps faster than the rest of the world. I have been waiting almost a year fo my SweetHarp and have suffered the same poor communication as Barb,Julie and Amber. I even have an email that states I was 13th on the list. Of course, Chris Caswell has been paid not only for the harp but the case as well.

I am really frustrated. My last email is unanswered. My harp was supposed to be in progress 3 weeks ago. Any suggestions? I am truly sorry that I ordered from this maker.

It seems that there will be a 36 string SweetHarp unveiled at Somerset. I wonder if 6 more strings will translate into 6 additional months of waiting.

katerina
    Participant

Friend of mine in Russia was waiting since June and finally cancelled her order in February. I don’t know, what happened with second Russian girl and her order, but so far nothing flew to Russia, but “glory” of Chris flew around. Russian society of folk harpists is rather small, everybody more-less know each other, so, there are now big doubts that Russia can ever become a market for Sweetharp.

I can’t say if she got her deposit back, but out of correspondence I was watching to help her with some English expressions I can say the following: sorry, colleagues, I’ve been working at a harp factory for 5 years, and the main credo of production is that you should never have only one supplier, but if your supplier collapses you should drag yourself out of Facebook and immediately search for a new one. Innocence? The materials he using are quite easy to find around; even if not, then ordering and shipping even from other side of North America (even from Europe) would not take more than 2 months. 2 months can be considered as understandable delay, yes.

So, good luck with yours. And congratulations to those who got the harps already.

Vivian Stoppel
    Participant

It’s difficult to write something negative when I know Chris reads and responds to these posts.

barbara-dixon
    Participant

I think one reason I got my harp before others is because I am in Canada, and had planned and cancelled vacation plans twice before due to Chris’ constant postponing the completion date.

Biagio Sancetta
    Participant

As some here know I have been a strong supporter of Chris and the SweetHarp, despite being frustrated as have been many others.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 123 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Replies