Sweating Hands

Posted In: Young Harpists

Clare McDonogh on #166470

Hi,

I was wondering if there were any harpists on this forum who suffer from sweating fingers/hands especially when they are performing or are stressed and nervous. I find I get sweaty/tacky fingers whenever I am anxious about my playing and it really interferes with my sound and technique. Also, since my fingers are soft and moister I find the edge of my nail digs into the skin and causes pain (especially in the RH thumb).

Has anyone else suffered from this problem and found a solution. I have tried using Driclor (a roll-on to stop extreme perspiration) but found that this did not stop the tacky/sweaty feeling.

Look forward to hearing anyone’s ideas.

Regards,

Clare McDonogh

Participant
    sherry-lenox on #166471

I went to a workshop with a well known harpist a couple weeks ago, and she recommended the little bags that bowlers use to keep their hands dry. I think you could get them at any bowling alley.

Although I don’t have sweaty hands, I thought it was a great idea.

Hope it helps!

Participant
    Philippa mcauliffe on #166472

I am only the mother of a harpist now but when I was playing a lot (piano and cello) in my youth I used to get this problem particularly for a big performance.

Olivia Bragg on #166473

I have had the same problem. To fix the problem I use Johnson’s Baby Powder. This allows me not to slip on the strings and play more efficiently.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘Young Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.