harpcolumn

Summer Programs for High School harpists

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Young Harpists Summer Programs for High School harpists

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    unknown-user
    Participant

Hi.

There are various music camps that offer harp or will accept a harpist, and at least two or three North Carolina programs. There is a gap in the northeast that I hope to fill in someday. If she is old enough, there is a program at Tanglewood, and I think Saratoga offers 3 weeks of instruction. I can offer a full summer but in the city of Philadelphia, not a camp. I believe in six-to-eight week programs for the greatest effect. Six weeks or more gives you time to fully learn new pieces and to really absorb instruction.

harp guy
    Participant

I would take a look at the Boston University Tanglewood Institute. For most of their programs [like flute and violin] it is quite competitive to get into [and the audition due date has already passed or is very soon].

tula-ruggiero
    Participant

Shenandoah University Performing Arts Camp in Winchester, VA is two weeks long, the students do private lessons, harp ensemble, orchestra, and wind ensemble (if needed), and can take secondary lessons in other instruments. The students live in the dorms with counselors to watch over them. In the evenings they have organized activities. They are accepting applications now. The director, Jessica Frost is also the harp teacher and she is excellent.

Kela Walton
    Participant

The January/February ’09 print issue of the Harp Column has an extensive and informative article listing summer harp programs across the US.
    I also maintain a shorter list of summer camps and festivals for harp students on my website at http://www.kelaharp.com/studio_calendar.htm (and I welcome information about other programs to add to this list)

unknown-user
    Participant

My daughter attended Blue Lake Fine Arts Camp in Michigan last summer and is returning for two sessions this summer.

diane-michaels
    Spectator

July 20 – 24, 2009 from 8:30-3:30 each day, the New Jersey Youth Symphony and the North Jersey Chapter of the American Haro Society present their 4th annual Summer Harp Camp in New Providence, NJ.

For more information, click here

laura-stokes
    Participant

I went to The Shenandoah Performing Arts Camp last year (the summer before my senior year) and absolutely loved it. Jessica Frost is fantastic! and Bridgett Stuckey, the SU harp professor gave lessons and helped too. It was nice because it was a quite small camp and there were only three harpists which meant that we really got to know each other and had to learn tons of music. I also took voice lessons while there which I also loved and you could easily take piano. There is orchestra, wind ensemble and chamber music groups all of which needed harp last year. I also got to accompany the Chorus which was fun.
    I highly suggest the SU camp.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The forum ‘Young Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Recent Replies