column

suggestions for easy harp and cello duets?

Home Forums Teaching the Harp suggestions for easy harp and cello duets?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    melissa-gallant
    Participant

I have an early intermediate lever harp student who will spend the summer with a cousin who is a cello student. Does anyone have suggestions for non-Christmas duet music they could play together? Thanks!

Go to your nearest music store and look in the section for collections of cello music, elementary or intermediate level. Many of these might have piano parts that

Bonnie Shaljean
    Participant

Take a look at Ralph Vaughan Williams’ lovely “Six Studies in English Folk Song” composed in 1926 for cello and piano – I feel pretty sure that at least some of them could be adapted for lever harp, even if it means in a few passages only playing the bass-clef line, divided between both hands, or simplifying somewhat. Worth checking out, anyway: there’s plenty of info out there if you google it.

You can listen to some free snippet-samples on this site, though it means enabling their media player, which I didn’t, so I haven’t actually heard these particular examples. You’ll probably find loads on YouTube too. It’s beautiful music.

http://www.classicalarchives.com/work/56577.html#tvf=tracks&tv=music

zoraida-avila
    Participant

I suggest the Vincenzo Bellini Nocturne for cello and harp.
    Zoraida

barbara-brundage
    Participant

Yes, they’re pretty much all quite doable. Only a couple have tricky lever passages, but it’s been so long since I did them that I don’t remember which ones.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.