harpcolumn

sudden multiple breakage for same note – burr?

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Harps and Accessories sudden multiple breakage for same note – burr?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

The weirdest thing just happened: my 2nd octave B string broke after only one month, so I replaced it. It lasted a day, then broke again. I replaced it, and that one broke within the next few minutes, at the knot. (The knot did not untie..the end was still attached to it.) I replaced it again, and the same thing happened! So I reamed out the hole with a wooden toothpick, in case a

carl-swanson
    Participant

Does your harp have metal eyelets?

No, it has plastic eyelets.

David Ice
    Participant

I’ve had similar things, once even breaking before I brought it up to pitch.

carl-swanson
    Participant

I should have also asked you if it broke each time in the same place. Are you replacing the string each time with gut or nylon? If it’s with gut, and always from the same multiple length string, then maybe the string is defective.

Actually, I replaced it from two different string bags to see if it was a bad batch of string, but both strings broke in exactly the same spot: just above the knot. They were both gut strings. After I

Now the string next to it, the 2nd octave A (gut), also broke at the bottom. It was only 6 months old. How odd!

This is getting freaky..now the 2nd octave B broke at the top, several days after I had stopped worrying about it.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.