harpcolumn

Substitution (temporary) for a wound nylon string with a monofilament?

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Harps and Accessories Substitution (temporary) for a wound nylon string with a monofilament?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    michael-rockowitz
    Participant

Hi everyone,
    The other day I was playing my cross strung, and suddenly I hear a sound a little like a flying saucer taking off in a “B” movie – a kind of oscillating, whirring sound.

michael-rockowitz
    Participant

It seems I’ve gotten no takers on trying to answer this.

Dwyn .
    Participant

No, the tension would not be approximately the same between a .061 wound nylon-on-nylon string and .060 monofilament string, at least not if tuned to the same pitch.

michael-rockowitz
    Participant

Dwyn,
    What you’re saying seemed sensible.

Tacye
    Participant

That is not a correction- it is a confusion.

michael-rockowitz
    Participant

Tacye, Dwyn,
    What follows assumes Cowart’s string tension calculator is correct in its calculations, and in the values it assigns for string tensions, for various materials.

I ran some calculations on a wound nylon, monofilament nylon core string I broke just this morning (I’m starting to wonder if my technique is too rough, or if I’m just unlucky, but that’s a separate posting).

Tacye
    Participant

Exactly.

Of course the thick monofilament probably wouldn’t sound right (it doesn’t bend as easily as a wound string) but the mass is all that is important in calculating the tension for a given length and pitch.

michael-rockowitz
    Participant

As a correction and for information’s sake – my error in posting 4 was in not entering the diameter of the winding itself onto the spreadsheet, which would have given a very different result for the string tension of the wound string (i.e., considerably higher)-

Michael

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Replies