Substitution (temporary) for a wound nylon string with a monofilament?

• Participant
    michael-rockowitz on #73904

Hi everyone,
    The other day I was playing my cross strung, and suddenly I hear a sound a little like a flying saucer taking off in a “B” movie – a kind of oscillating, whirring sound.

Participant
    michael-rockowitz on #73905

It seems I’ve gotten no takers on trying to answer this.

Participant
    Dwyn . on #73906

No, the tension would not be approximately the same between a .061 wound nylon-on-nylon string and .060 monofilament string, at least not if tuned to the same pitch.

Participant
    michael-rockowitz on #73907

Dwyn,
    What you’re saying seemed sensible.

Participant
    Tacye on #73908

That is not a correction- it is a confusion.

Participant
    michael-rockowitz on #73909

Tacye, Dwyn,
    What follows assumes Cowart’s string tension calculator is correct in its calculations, and in the values it assigns for string tensions, for various materials.

I ran some calculations on a wound nylon, monofilament nylon core string I broke just this morning (I’m starting to wonder if my technique is too rough, or if I’m just unlucky, but that’s a separate posting).

Participant
    Tacye on #73910

Exactly.

Of course the thick monofilament probably wouldn’t sound right (it doesn’t bend as easily as a wound string) but the mass is all that is important in calculating the tension for a given length and pitch.

Participant
    michael-rockowitz on #73911

As a correction and for information’s sake – my error in posting 4 was in not entering the diameter of the winding itself onto the spreadsheet, which would have given a very different result for the string tension of the wound string (i.e., considerably higher)-

Michael

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.