column

stuck string

Home Forums Coffee Break stuck string

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Juliana Henry
    Participant

Hey everyone,

I was wondering if you could help me with a little problem. I was changing my second octave D string and the knot slipped. When I went to take the string out and try again; the string and the anchor piece are jammed in the soundboard hole. I cannot figure out how to get it undone. I’ve tried pushing and pulling and even toothpicks and nothing’s worked.

Any suggestions?…

Juliana, Do you have a safety pin in the house? Medium to large size? Sacrifice this pin to be a tool for emergencies in a case such as this. Bend the larger side of the safety pin away from the pointed side. and now holding on to the larger side like a handle of this new tool, put the pointed end down the hole where the string is stuck. The point will probably touch the clogged harp string and you may be able to push it out the back of the soundboard. If the point does not reach deep enough into the hole, you need a larger safety pin, such as the kind used for babies’ diapers, as long as that point-end is no bigger diameter than the harp string hole. Next time you change a harp string in the top three octaves, before you make the familiar knot, make an extra knot in that end, and be sure you use a string anchor with as wide a diameter as a 5th octave pedal harp string. Hope this works for you!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.