column

Strings….

Home Forums Harps and Accessories Strings….

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

I had to change all my strings a couple of weeks ago. Normally I find my harp responds best to Vanderbilt strings, but alas….They are no more. I didn’t want to take a chance on Burgundy, and I didn’t have time to wait for Camac strings to arrive, so I went with Bows, which I recalled I wasn’t crazy about on this harp. But…..I must say, that now that the board has come up a little, the Bows sound really really great on it. It sounds soooooooooooooooooooo sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo beautiful with the new strings. I put Pirastro nylons on the top octave and 2 notes. To me they sing the sweetest.

Briggsie

brook-boddie
    Participant

Briggsie, remind me–what kind of harp do you have?

Hi Brook….

I have a Camac Athena concert grand (extended board).

Briggsie

sherry-lenox
    Participant

Hi Briggsie- Did you have your harp regulated, or regulate it yourself, after you changed the strings?

I had my Wurlitzer regulated in early August, and as much as I loved it before, I can’t get enough time in on it now, it sounds and feels so great.

When the time comes I will be using Bow lever guage (it’s a Howard Bryan harp), so it’s nice to hear that you’re happy with the pedal guage Bows.

Jerusha Amado
    Participant

Hi Briggs (and all),

Just wanted to chime in that the last strings I used on my Salzedo before I sold it were Burgundy, which are cheaper than Bow brand.

tony-morosco

I use Burgundy on my L& H and also think it sounds no different than the regular Bow Brand strings. The visual imperfections don’t bother me at all, you can’t really notice them unless you are right

andy-b
    Participant

I use Burgundy on my Athena and also on the Clio I had before. I think they sound great, even better to me than the original Camac strings, and much cheaper.

Cheers,

Andy

mccall-williams
    Participant

For the last several years, and maybe longer?, Lyon and Healy has had a sale on their strings in December.. 10% off full octaves as I recall.

sherry-lenox
    Participant

I’ve googled this question and received conflicting responses. Does Burgundy sell lever gut?

It makes me nervous when I worry about getting the perfect strings for the Wurlitzer.

Sherry, no I had it regulated professionally.

I use Vanderbilt wires, Jerusha. I use silver and copper. I don’t like the coated ones.

Jerusha Amado
    Participant

Thanks, Briggs!

I’ve never tried Burgundy.My favorite strings are Bow brand; to me they sound better than V’bilt classic…a more rounded, bell-like sound. I just had to replace a bunch of strings so had the opportunity to compare. My hesitation about Burgundy is that while I don’t mind visual imperfections, I wouldn’t want any other kind of imperfections. Maybe some Burgundy enthusiasts will chime in here.

Jerusha Amado
    Participant

Hi Eliza,

Tony and I gave our opinions about Burgundy strings earlier in this thread.

Has anyone heard of the Valkyrie Cordes brand?

I’m betting it depends on the harp which strings sound best. My Camac always had that rounded, bell-like sound with the Vanderbilt strings, but now that the board has pulled up some, it sounds much better with the Bow. Odd how that works. 🙂

Briggsie

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.