harpcolumn

Strings…gut/carbon fibre/chicken wire!!!!

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Amateur Harpists Strings…gut/carbon fibre/chicken wire!!!!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    HBrock25
    Keymaster

I have a lovely lever harp with standard gut strings – getting on a bit now. Thinking of re-stringing with light gut or even carbon fibre since it is really hard work playing folk music with them . Has anyone any experience of altering the strings on their harp – I’m a bit scared that I lose the lovely tone.?

Tacye
    Participant

What sort of harp is it?

carl-swanson
    Participant

Carbon fiber strings are very high tension and will over time damage the soundboard and neck. Gut strings are somewhat less tension, and nylon are considerably less tension than gut.

jessica-wolff
    Participant

What about nylgut?

carl-swanson
    Participant

I have no idea what that is.

Tacye
    Participant

Despite Carl’s blanket statement about CF strings the tension of course depends on the gauge of the strings.

Carbon fiber strings are definitely different. I practiced on a harp with them for a couple of weeks, and I was quite sore afterwards, it did some actual damage. They are much more resistant, and the tone is unattractive compared to gut or nylon. They sound like flouride for some reason. And then, you are likely absorbing flouride through your skin. How risky that is, I don’t know. I did have copper poisoning at one time, and the only likely source was harp strings. Fortunately, it has not recurred. It is not uncommon, apparently, for that to happen. I did play a wire-strung harp at one time, and it was so weird to go back to the regular strings.

Karen Johns
    Participant

Hmmm…..that’s interesting Saul. So, the wire strung harp you had was strung with copper? Or was it bronze? I’ve never heard of this happening before. I play a wire-strung harp too, but it’s strung with steel. But it does make sense that any material/chemical you come in contact with will have a chance to

carl-swanson
    Participant

Lever gauge Carbon Fiber strings are going to be higher tension than lever gauge gut or nylon strings.

Audrey Nickel
    Participant

Wire-strung harps Celtic harps are traditionally strung with either bronze or brass, both of which are, I believe, an alloy of copper (I’d have to look it up to be sure…this is half-remembered information from high school, which was a long time ago).

jessica-wolff
    Participant

Aquila nylgut. It’s a sort of gut substitute. What is hear is, the strings take forever to stretch out, but then they sound pretty good. This is mostly with reference to banjo or guitar, but they’re available for harp as well.

Gary C

Well, I’m new to harp, but I’ll jump in with nylgut.

Nylgut strings I use on my ukuleles as they give a good balance between gut tone and nylon durability. They’re strung to the same tension as nylon strings. I don’t know enough about harps to say whether or not either a nylon or gut strung harp could be strung with nylgut, nor even if nylgut harp strings are available. Be a bit longer than my soprano uke sets, I’d imagine!

Gary C

Yes. And what jessica said. They take ages to stretch in. I understand that the alliance harp strings are similar in this regard.

Liam M
    Participant

The formula is rather simple physics.

Dwyn .
    Participant

Nylgut is Aquila’s synthetic string — basically nylon, but with density closer to gut.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • The forum ‘Amateur Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.