harpcolumn

string tension

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Amateur Harpists string tension

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Victoria Cunningham
    Participant

I am presently having an older L&H pedal harp

jessica-wolff
    Participant

If you go far enough back, all pedal harps, even Lyon & Healy, were strung more lightly than they are today. Just how old is this harp?

catherine-rogers
    Participant

The lower tension on older harps is easier on the hand because the player doesn’t need to pull as hard on the strings to get volume. These harps often have straight soundboards (as opposed to extended) but do not necessarily lack volume. Many have projection far beyond what you might expect. This also depends on the quality of the restoration. Many harpists say these instruments are very responsive and a delight to play.

Dwyn .
    Participant

You wrote:

Victoria Cunningham
    Participant

The harp I am having restored is a 1920 L&H #22. (Looks just like a 23 with on less string and is slightly smaller.) I has an extended sound board. It would not have the tension of a more modern instrument. Would this limit me in the future? Would I be able to play higher tension instruments without a great deal of difficulty?

kathy-chanik
    Participant

Victoria, a whole lot of us own both lever and pedal harps, and so switch back and forth from heavy pedal harp tension to lower lever tension on a daily basis.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘Amateur Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Recent Topics